OK, that makes sense. So will the one-time treatment with Clorox raise the pH of the media too much for the plants' good? If so, would you bother doing anything to lower the pH again?

Next time I'll probably just stick to dousing the media in boiling water a few times and soaking it overnight before wringing it out and potting, but I'm glad I tried the bleach treatment. 5 days in and my plants are perking back up after transplant shock; not melting. And now I won't have to worry about pesky slimy goo all season!