What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks, guys! I'm really excited for the auction. I need to find more things to donate. And I'm pumped to get some good plants, too!

Your collection.... amazing.

LOL, Liz.

Thanks, you two.

makes me want to get interested in dews! So can you buy these lights at a convenient home store like home depot or somewhere? any links?

The dews in the moss are D. rotundifolia (Mass wild-collects his moss I think)

The D. filiformis tray only has filiformis in it! Those weird looking ones are the younger plants.

I hope that answers a few questions!

Borrowed idea.. not stolen. ;)

If you cover the tank and keep it cool, the moss will take off like crazy!! And so will those D. rotundifolia (Bath, Michigan). Also, fill the water level up to the egg crate.

Thanks, everyone!

makes me want to get interested in dews! So can you buy these lights at a convenient home store like home depot or somewhere? any links?
I don't have any links, but you can get them both at Home Depot and at Lowes. I like the ones from Lowes a bit better because they have a solid white reflector, which is marginally better than the dark gray/unfinished reflectors on the ones from Home Depot. And I think the Lowes ones are like $5 cheaper, so double win. They're just 4ft, double tube T8 fixtures. They seem to work well, two to a shelf. Heat can be an issue, though...

The D. filiformis tray only has filiformis in it! Those weird looking ones are the younger plants.
They just looked super rosette-y to me, so I figured I might'a mixed up some D. venusta in there on accident. XD

Borrowed idea.. not stolen. ;)

If you cover the tank and keep it cool, the moss will take off like crazy!! And so will those D. rotundifolia (Bath, Michigan). Also, fill the water level up to the egg crate.
It is covered (albeit with saran wrap), it's just hard to see. It's holding out at about 70-75 during the day and around 60 at night, always at least 90% humidity. Should work out well, I suspect! Thanks again! It's nice to have live moss for once, even if it is all alone in a tank and not in pots (yet). ^.^

EDIT: *heads to the plant room to fill the chamber with more water*

also, I try to lay it heads up. Leaving the stands underneath.. AND, if your bored you can pluck all the heads off an use those as a top layer on the strands. The heads will grow like MAD!! I use live LFS heads as a top layer in my UHL pots. They grow like crazy.

My first ever attempt at time-lapse photography. I was bummed the plant didn't finish wrapping around the fly, but it's all good. Next time. This is the first of many, I'm sure.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QW-A7mHQEW0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Music is Chopin's Prelude in E Minor Op. 28 No. 4.

aww.. I wanted to see the death roll. Though that was REALLY COOL! :lol: Great photography..

I know, I really wanted it to as well. Oh well. I will be doing more. I want to do D. aliciae too. As well as the sealing of a Dionaea muscipula trap. Perhaps flowers opening and closing. Timelapse is great fun. ^.^

Thanks!

Oh WOW that capensis action was awesome!! :hail:

Thank ya, thez. I know you're into photography. If you don't have an intervelometer and don't want to spend oodles of money on one, you can write a super simple script for a TI-83+ (doesn't everyone have one of those these days?) to make it act as one. Figured I'd bring it up. ^.^

:0o: You are AWESOME!

Not terribly exciting, but it pretty much accomplished what it set out to do: show the sealing mechanism of the good ol' flytrap.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xKZ0hpj77K0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Music is Chopin's Nocturne in E Minor, Op 72 #1.

awesome movie!!!!!!!

Some random shots, then... something (morbidly) special. LOL.

No post-processing. Click any image for full-size.

AND NOW: The Death Gallery (Muahahahah!!!) >.>;;

Last edited:
LOVE IT!! Your adelaes are :drool: - tastic!

Your pictures NEVER cease to amaze me!!!
Your plants are STUNNING!!!!

Back