What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think the first Lowes Rescue is either Judith Finn or Spathulata...

great pics....you should work more on your color balance though. it seems that your images are more on the yellow side.

Ive been going to 2 dif lowes as many times as possible to get some nepenthes i got one once and never seen them again. Its too small to identify yet but once it gets bigger ill take some pics. It died at first i pulled it out them mysteriously like 3 months later somehow a piece was left behind n there it was in the moss and now its about the size of a half dollar and has like 5 little pitchers.

Thanks, guys.

great pics....you should work more on your color balance though. it seems that your images are more on the yellow side.
I agree. It's difficult under such harsh artificial lighting. I need to get pictures in actual sunlight. Perhaps I'll try opening to window to let some in, that might give me better results. Thanks!

If you have blue/white CFL(5500k-6500k) you could use them like a spot lite while you take your pics. Helps a lot.

ventrata has wings every now and then, and mainly at the young stage...i say that you are correct on its ID as a ventrata, as well as the ID on the other being judith finn....nice plants :)

Since I'm finally (mostly) moved into my new house and FINALLY have internet, figured I'd get some new pictures up. The plant room is now one with two south-facing windows, so I get some sunlight in there. I got the camera out yesterday evening to get some shots in natural light. No post-processing except cropping and some very mild contrast adjustments on some of them. These were all free-handed, so I apologize for the lack of clarity on some of them.

img5647.png

N. ventrata?

img5652.png

N. 'Judith Finn'

img5658.png

N. ventricosa 'Red'

img5664.png

A new N. inermis x bongso pitcher.

img5671.png

P. moranensis 'Tehuacan'

img5674.png

My Cephalotus. Yes, the soil looks very wet. It was just watered. ;p

img5680.png

A pot of D. adelae.

img5683.png

P. 'Titan' i got from a SASE with the wonderful SirKirstoff. ^.^ Seems to be recovering well! Two new leaves.

And, some other pictures not in the sunlight.

img5567c.jpg

Did my N. 'Judith Finn' just node? o_O

img5585uh.jpg

Finally Getting some flower action on one of my D. adelaes.

img5597.png

Owned. I always like taking pictures of this, LOL.

img5623.png

D. capensis 'Wide Leaf' from a trade with SDCPs. Recovering beautifully.

img5634r.jpg

Just a shot to show how outrageous the bog grass is in the mini bog.

And that wraps this post up!

Last edited:
Awesome they look real happy. That bog grass is out of control.

Very nice pics! Love your ventricosa.

Thanks, guys.

That bog grass is out of control.
LOL, I know, but I like it. Makes it look more natural, in my opinion. Crazy thing is that all of it grew out of the dead sphagnum I used in the bog. o_O

Oooooo, everything looks lovely!!! :-D You're doing marvelous!! Keep it up!

That's an interesting set up you have there, I like it. :-D Your ventricosa red looks very similar to the clone I have.

Edit

I just looked through the rest of your photos and your minibog is magnificent! I especially love those adelae's!! Do you provide extra humidity for them? I've been wondering how people get their adelae plants to look like yours, without the big stems and nice colours.

Last edited:
Thanks so much, everyone!

As far as the D. adelae: the only couple things I can think of that particularly set my setup apart from most others' is that water flows through the media every day for thirty minutes and that I have above-average lighting over them. I don't know that I believe this particular plant enjoys less intense light than others; it seems to be doing incredibly well for me and it's under a lot of light. It's "sister" D. prolifera, however, doesn't seem to be doing as well under the same light. I might have to move it to the rack where the humidity is much higher and the lighting isn't so intense. Oh, to answer your question (LOL, fail): no, I don't provide any extra humidity. Although I imagine having the soil pretty wet 24/7 thanks to the pump raises local humidity a decent bit. Guess I should actually measure it right at the substrate level. I'll get back to you on that in the next couple days. ;p For details on the bog, read this post.

They enjoy less light than other sundews, but they can tolerate far more light than the other 'sisters': schizandra and prolifera.

I know, the thing is, mine don't seem to be "tolerating" the excess light, they seem to be relishing it. I started with a single plant seven months ago and I now have more than I can count and new ones are coming up at least weekly. And that's with no seed, they're just multiplying like crazy. o_O

D. prolifera, however, as I said, definitely doesn't seem to be enjoying it as much. >.>;;

LOl! And my other adalae has a flower! I need yours to hurry up and make one. Anyway, the one you sent me is doing great. D. capensis 'broadleaf' seems to be doing great too!

I can't wait to try my hand at getting seed and spreading some quality genetically different plants around! Thanks!!!

Oooo, I hope it flowers for you while the other one is in flower! I'd have to hit you up on those seeds, though, when you got extras. XP

And, yeah, the 'Wide Leaf' is looking great. Pushing out new leaves like crazy, and each one is covered in dew. It's good to know my first trade went so well! Thanks again!

I just saw this thread for the first time... The setups you have are incredible... :D Your plants are positively vibrant... I might try that aluminum rack setup if I can convince my wife to let me set up a fluorescent bank like that... Fantastic!

Thanks, jonnyq!

If your wife is worried about all the light, you can always tell her you can wrap it in mylar to keep all the light in. XD

Back