What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ok ok, how the heck do I lower the humidity.

ok,, so I have been looking online and looking for a way to get the humidity way down in my tank? growing highland neps.

I know I know,,i have looked around but looking for the best way...

Ummm.....Why would you want to lower it?....how humid are we talkin' here?

Unless you're literally growing them submerged in water there really shouldn't be a problem.

I have never seen Nepenthes go down hill from being too humid, unless that is, you are growing them in a tray of water, in which case they die nearly instantly.

Unless you're literally growing them submerged in water there really shouldn't be a problem.

I have never seen Nepenthes go down hill from being too humid, unless that is, you are growing them in a tray of water, in which case they die nearly instantly.

I grow mine sitting in water. It gets mondo hot in the summer. I should also add that I grow them in terracotta. Another no-no for neps. It depends on your conditions.

well I set this up to to bring the temp up a little,,,the humidity in my house at this time it is 50%
and in the tank it is 65% tonight at 10:10.
I even put at pc fan inside,

I was told highlands need low humidity,,,,

even with the top off the humidity is still high.

but with out the tank the temp is way to low during the day.
DSCN7646.jpg

DSCN7649.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

in the top pic the temp is 61 and the humidity is 71%

You have temperature and humidity confused. Most all Neps are quite fond of high humidity and you will be hard pressed to get it too high for them. The only problem you might run into with high humidity is over watering since plants in high humidity won't need nearly as much water. Temperature is a different story. Since most all of the US is temperate and Neps are tropical it can be a challenge getting temps right for neps. Highlanders prefer cooler temperatures and many won't survive long term without a significant night time temperature drop. Lowlanders on the other hand prefer warm days and fairly warm nights. In the states lowlanders often do better in the summer and highlanders in the winter because of the temperature requirements.

That all said many plants that may be called highlanders or lowlanders may actually fall in an intermediate category. As a beginning grower you probably want to stick to these intermediate plants since they are much easier to care for. With all the new crosses from EP and BE there are more plants than ever that are far easier to grow than their parents because they cross plants known for their adaptability, vigor, and general ease of cultivation like truncata, venticosa, and veitchii with more difficult to grow plants. The resulting plants can often be grown under lights without a tank for humidity or temperature control, have characteristics of the more difficult to grow parent, and often prove to be better growers than either of their parents.

cool, so if I put a nice light over top I should be fine,right

Back