What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Not Pure Enough?

Hi i am planning on building a bog garden in spring or summer and my number one prob. is WATER i can't be buying 5 gal. of disstelled water every day in summer i need to use my house water but wait don't goahead and so nope it won't work because my house runs on WELL WATTER and i wanted to know if you guys think that well water in North West Ga is ok (not pure water 49PPM or less) to use on my outdoor soon to come ASOME BOG GARDEN LET ME KNOW THANKS!

Some CP "experts" say under 100 ppm of TDS is fine for CPs. Others say less than 50ppm of TDS is safe. So either way you should be fine with well water that is less then 49ppm of TDS.

ive been giving my plants 150tds water for 2 years and all do great.
(neps, dews, vft's, ping, utrics)
Maybe you can take a bit of your water to an aquarium store and have it tested.

Another thing maybe to think about in your build is including some sort of drainage. That way, if there is gunk in your water that starts to build up in the soil, every now and then you can "flush" it out...for example, whenever a big thunderstorm rolls through. From people I've spoken to who use city water, using pots without drainage eventually leads to trouble...but if the water runs through, the plants are fine.

Thanks any more info is welcomed and wanted.

Maybe you can set up something to capture rainfall?

Between the rain and your regular watering (depending on how big the bog is, in ground or above ground and other things of the sort) you should be fine as long as you have a drainage hole like others have mentioned. The build-up should not be too much of an issue if you take the proper precautions and use a media mixture that will yield the best water retention whilst also allowing proper amounts of drainage. what would you be planning to put in there?

Water testing can be a CP growers friend. PPM (parts per million) of TDS (total dissolved solids) can vary greatly and still be suitable for your CP. Which elements or compounds are in your water that give high TDS readings are most critical. The pH developed by the chemicals dissolved in your water is the most important factor. Lower pH levels are more desirable than higher pH levels, unless they are extremely low, then they could again be troublesome.

I recommend regular testing for pH and TDS.

it is going to be in ground bog and i will put peat moss and perlite in it.

I wouldn't suggest perlite for an outdoor inground bog. It will end up floating away in the rains...

Back