What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good ultrasonic humidifier?

Exo

Tastes like chicken!
Can anyone reccommend a good ultrasonic humidifier that will humidify a large 5ft x 3ft x 3ft chamber? I had a nice sunpentown humidifier, but it has burned out after 9 months and apparently the mistmaker disk cannot be repaired.

Thanks.

I would suggest getting an ultrasonic fountain fogger. They're a little more expensive up front but replacement disks are readily available. The one I'm thinking of has a little buoy/float thing you can buy for it what keeps the fogger at just the right depth under the water no matter how big a container you put it in. You'll also need a fan to blow the fog around, since the fogger itself doesn't push it very far. But for under $80 you can make a nice, powerful humidifier with totally replaceable parts.
~Joe

I would suggest getting an ultrasonic fountain fogger. They're a little more expensive up front but replacement disks are readily available. The one I'm thinking of has a little buoy/float thing you can buy for it what keeps the fogger at just the right depth under the water no matter how big a container you put it in. You'll also need a fan to blow the fog around, since the fogger itself doesn't push it very far. But for under $80 you can make a nice, powerful humidifier with totally replaceable parts.
~Joe

Hmm...I haven't seen a model like thew one you describe....the only ones I see are like the exoterra type....no floating ones....:scratch:

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Interesting!..and a small fan will blow the fog around the chamber?

Hmm...I haven't seen a model like thew one you describe....the only ones I see are like the exoterra type....no floating ones....:scratch:

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Interesting!..and a small fan will blow the fog around the chamber?

The floats are sold separate:
K004.jpg

I would get a tall, opaque plastic bucket, punch some holes in the lid (one for the fogger's power cable, one for your fan to blow into, and then however many outlet hoses you want) and then attach the fan on top to blow into the bucket - perhaps with a splash guard to protect the electronics. Keeping the fogger in the dark will help prevent crud from growing in the water, which (I'm told) can become a health hazard if you don't clean it occasionally. Then use plastic hose or some waterproof air duct to vent the bucket into your enclosure. If you need to take the flow a long ways, put fans on the output ends of the ducts to provide suction. Also, make sure not to have any U-shaped bends in the hoses where water can collect; preferably the bucket should be at the bottom so that condensation runs back into the reservoir.
If you don't want to bother with rigging a muffin fan, an aquarium air pump would also work. Just make sure to get a bucket with a fairly tight-sealing lid.
~Joe

3 or 5 or more heads?

Seedjar
which one do you have? I'm debating between the 1 or 3 or 5 misting discs?
I don't really save any money buying the 3 vs 1 when I can buy 3 x 1 disc for same price (and slightly cheaper)
I'm using an ultrasonic humidifier right now which I'm assuming uses the same type of technology and it only has 1 disc so i'm thinking that should suffice for me.
Whats your experience with them?

At least when you get a 3 disk fogger, you wont have to get 3 adapters ?

I bought a fogger shown by seedjar, and was inspired by the following YouTube video to make a contraption which I affectionately call my "Fog Box."

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hzgqxEU0sVc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hzgqxEU0sVc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I used a Tupperware container, some tubes, duct tape and hot-glue to seal it. It fills up my 29 gallon terrarium in a matter of minutes, and thats with only a 3" under-powered fan. Perhaps if you took that idea and upped the power on the uptake fan, you will find it meets your requirements.

-CJ

Lee: I have none of them myself, but I have set a few fountains up with them. Based on the amount of fog they put out, I think the 1-disc model is sufficient unless you have a very large enclosure or want the look of filling your entire chamber with thick white fog. I imagine that five of these running at the same time would look like a chemistry experiment gone wrong. I would buy the smaller models and just stock up on replacement discs.
CJ: That's a really nice build in that video! I was terrified when they filled it with gas though - in the living room, with no blast shield or anything. Pretty ballsy if you ask me... o_O
~Joe

I bought a fogger shown by seedjar, and was inspired by the following YouTube video to make a contraption which I affectionately call my "Fog Box."

I used a Tupperware container, some tubes, duct tape and hot-glue to seal it. It fills up my 29 gallon terrarium in a matter of minutes, and thats with only a 3" under-powered fan. Perhaps if you took that idea and upped the power on the uptake fan, you will find it meets your requirements.

-CJ

Was I the only one hoping he was going to light the gasoline vapor stream?

In another video, he does. He uses a wire-mesh screen to block the flame from going back and blowing up the gas. Its very interesting to watch the flame, for whatever reason, not go through the mesh.

CJ

The one that broke was a Sunpentown SU2000.....lasted nine months. Taking a better look at it I think there may be some amount of mineral buildup on the resonator....so I am gonna try to get this off and see if it works again.

My mom decided to pick up a sunbeam ultrasonic last night for me and so far it works even better than the old one.

Have you tried soaking the disc with white vinegar to remove any mineral deposits? (Or if the disc isn't removeable, just put vinegar in instead of water and let it stand.) I clean my cheapo Target off-brand humidifier after every few months of use.
~Joe

Have you tried soaking the disc with white vinegar to remove any mineral deposits? (Or if the disc isn't removeable, just put vinegar in instead of water and let it stand.) I clean my cheapo Target off-brand humidifier after every few months of use.
~Joe

That's what I'm currently trying, there isn't much buildup since I use RO water in it, but there might be just enough to keep it from working.

I would suggest to ditch those small ones as well. Go for the big one and then use tubing to route it inside the tank...this is what I do myself.

I would suggest to ditch those small ones as well. Go for the big one and then use tubing to route it inside the tank...this is what I do myself.

My setup isn't a tank....it's more or less a giant tent.....

growchamber02_10-29-10.jpg

Back