What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone in the Sacramento area.

Hi,

I'm planing a Greenhouse/Hothouse (10'? x 10'?) for growing mostly LL Nepenthes and was wondering if there is anybody in the Sacramento area (Or anywhere with a like climate Zone 14) with some tips Re: Heating and cooling. I'm mostly concerned about cooling, I'm sure I'm going to need a heater for the winter months.

-If I grow heat tolerant LL Nepenthes sp. what do I need for cooling in the summer (100*+ for a few days)? Mist? Swap cooler? Nothing? ????

I grew both highland and lowland nepenthes in an insulated greenhouse in Roseville - how lucky this that! I grew maxima superba (highland) beautifully, a lowii hybrid - not a happy camper and an alata - very happy in with my orchids. The greenhouse could get down to @ 38 without damage! All we had in there was a portable recirculating oil heater, but the greenhouse was well insulated. Highland are going to be your best bet, unless you really want to hook up an killer heating system for winter. If you've ever been to California Carnivores, their lowland room is stagnant and overwhelmingly WARM - I can only be in there for a while, and the need to breathe takes over! Lowland have to have constant temps to grow well - no fluctuations! Oh, I also had a x coccinea in there, and it sulked as well. They grow, they just won't pitcher well. The highlanders though, will do better as long as you don't bottom out @40. I had a swamp cooler and 50% shade in summer - the greenhouse was 10x9. I would highly recommend visiting someone who has a lowland growing operation before getting in over your head - the place I had gone to had quite a bit of white wash on the ceiling and like I mentioned earlier, the air was OPPRESSIVE and stagnant - factor in Sacramento's summers....and having a swamp cooler blowing on them won't make them very happy. The highlanders yes, lowlanders....not so much - maybe if you did the greenhouse within a greenhouse setup?

Last edited:
So it sounds like it's easier (Cheaper?) to cool it down in the summer for Highlanders than it is to warm it up in the winter for Lowlanders?

If that's true I'll design the GH for Highlanders and maybe use a big aquarium as a hot house inside the greenhouse.

Last edited:
Back