What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi everyone i have a ultrasonic humidifier and a heater. Here is a link to the humidifier. http://www.kaz.com/kaz/humidifiers/products/vicks-filterfree-humidifier-v4500/
Here is a link to the heater. http://www.amazon.com/Patton-PUH680...YC61/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1296239560&sr=8-4
So i wanted to know if i should leave the heater on during the day and the humidifier during night or the opposite of that or both day or night and i keep the humidifier on high and the amount of humidity half way. I keep the heater around 72 Degrees F. right now i have the heater going during the day at the degree i just told you i kept it on and the humidifier going during the night with it on high and and the amount of humidity on half way. SO WHICH WAY SHOULD I DO IT AND ARE THE SETTINGS/SETUP I HAVE RIGHT NOW OK? For a Cobra Plant at Lowe's, VFT, pitcher plant seedlings, D. adelea, Nepenthes ventricosa, D. rotundifolia, D. binata, D. capillaris "Long Arm", D. filiformis, D. filiformis "All red" VAR. SO IS EVERYTHING OK AND WHAT SHOULD I DO ABOUT THE HUMIDIFIER AND THE HEATER THANKS COMETS/OPIONS WELCOME AS ALWAYS THANKS!

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Oh yeah and i forgot the temp. at night when i don't have the heater on then it drops down to 58-60 Degrees F. (kind of cool that the cobra needs just about the requirments that my setup has)

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer space heaters that have digital thermostats. I like to know what temp it's heating to, what temp it is, and the difference between the two.
Just FYI.. when using a space heater and humidifier, your going to want to use a seperate fan to circulate the air. AND, plan ahead for water build up. All that water from the humidifier has to end up somewhere.

I have a digital thermostat that tells the temp. and the humidity i have it right in front of my plants. Also i know what you mean i just ran into that problem OH but what i have a celing fan i can turn it on high would that help?

I dunno.. what's your setup look like?

i will have to take pics when i get home prob will be tomorrow.

i will have to take pics when i get home prob will be tomorrow.

tough for me to help out too much without knowing what we're dealing with

they are just in a plastic container sitting in purified water with really good lighting. with a heater blowing on them at 72 degrees F. and a ultrasonic humidifier blowing on them.

plastic container.. like.. covered?

no

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

It is just three inches below the top of the 4 inche pots.

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

i mean 2 inches.

Ok here are the pics.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/eou812/DSC00044.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/eou812/DSC00043.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/eou812/DSC00042.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/eou812/DSC00045.jpg

Now does everyone understand?

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

It looks like nothing is growing there but there is here it is Cobra plant, seedling pitcher plants, Nepenthes ventricosa, D.capensis 'Albino', D. filiformis, D. filiformis "FL Var.", D. rotundifolia, D. binata, D. capillaris "Long Arm".

Last edited by a moderator:
With such an open space, your more likely to only get a slight increase in humidity with a humidifier. I'd work on lighting before anything else.

So my lighting is not good? and yeah i keep the humidifier on all day long. i might just forget about the humidity so what about lighting and heating?

@eou: didnt i already tell you your lighting was poor while we were chatting?

Yeah but when i told you that it was a 6,500k color light bulb you went ohh then that is suitible.

im sorry, i guess you misunderstood me.
yes the color temperature of your lighting is suitable...but the overall output of light that you are giving your plants is not. You will be needing 8-9 more of those lamps, each with a 6500K bulb, in order to get adequate lighting...

Yes i guess i missunderstood you i am sorry and if it isn't then why are my plants THRIVING? Like my capensis growing two flowerstalks in a month? Also their leaves are so red they almost look black!

define thriving....because i cant see your plants in the photos of your setup.

you can tell a Nep is thriving by the pitchers it produces, both coloration and size---i dont see any.

capensis is a robust plant that can grow in any condition...are your capensis leaves also producing large amounts of dews---thriving sundews often produce large amounts of mucilage. are your other dews producing large amounts of mucilage as well? also, placing a lamp that close to the plants is bound to generate a good amount of heat---which can cook your plants and burn the surface of the media---however, it might not be too big of a deal since you dont have your plants in a tank.

eou, im just offering you advice---if you chose to follow it or not, that's your choice...if you think your plants are doing better than when you initially obtained them, then by all means, keep your setup. im just trying to help you set up a solid foundation to move on to more harder to get plants like helis and cephs, which you wanted so badly in the beginning...

Well everything is really small except for the cobra and the nep and the nep is not in good color or pitchering because mass gave it to me a month ago like that my pitcher plant seedlings are producing pitchers pretty good and my filiformises sare coming out of dormancy. and the others i recived from mass for free and you know what shipping does to plants especially neps. I am happy to take peoples advice but i thought we disscused this yesterday when you said my light was sutible so anything else you want to know?

I'd assume putting a heater right on top of your plants like that, blowing directly on them, is a good way to dehydrate them real quick. While the heater may be set to 72°, the air that comes out of it is not 72°. Do you know what kind of heater it is? From the pics, I'd have to assume radiator or convection. If it's convection, with no fans to force the air out, it probably isn't that big a deal; the air should theoretically just rise to the top of the room. If it's a radiator, I'd suspect you're slowly cooking your plants from the inside.

Whatever the case, I'd put a thermometer between the heater and the closest plant, turn the heater on, wait 30 minutes or so, and see what the thermometer reads. I'd bet money it's not 72°.

All that said, yeah, that's definitely not near enough light unless they're getting a lot of natural light through a window or something that the pictures didn't capture. Your plants might be "thriving" for the time being, but they aren't going to last if those bulbs are the only light they get.

With my plants i have 8 cfls like the one in your lamp and 1 2 bulb shop light and a single shop light and its jsut enough to keep them alive but not enough color, so you def. need more light. Look into a 3 rack grow hut greenhouse thing they are cheep and it will answer your temp and humidity problems plus the under sides of the rack will give you somewhere to put the lights rather than on the pot under the leafs.

Back