What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher plants for a terrarium

I am really new to carnivorous plants and I have been getting a lot out of these forums so thank you guys for that. The problem is I can't find much information on how large pitcher plants get and which ones adapt best to terrarium life. With that being said I have a 20 gallon long tank and I was wondering which pitcher plants would fit in this tank. Preferably something that doesn't need a dormancy period but I will take what I can get.

Do you mean Sarracenia or Nepenthes?
All Sarracenia require dormancy. All Nepenthes do not.

Also how big will the terrarium be? What are its conditions? What is it's light source?

Welcome to the forums.

Do you want plants that are permanently small or would you consider selling/moving your plants once they've outgrown the terrarium? If you're going for the second option, you could grow most pitcher plants in a small tank I guess. I have a paludarium type of setting where I have N. bicalcarata, a potentially massive Nepenthes, but right now it's a baby plant no more than 5-6'' tall.

Sorry about the lack of information. The tank is a 20 gallon high not a 20 gallon long like I said. The tank is 17 inches high and the lights are 24 watts of T5 lights. The lights are 10k daylight bulbs. Ideally I would like something that can stay in the tank and I was thinking South american pitchers so there is not dormancy. Hopefully this helps. Thanks

Sorry about the lack of information. The tank is a 20 gallon high not a 20 gallon long like I said. The tank is 17 inches high and the lights are 24 watts of T5 lights. The lights are 10k daylight bulbs. Ideally I would like something that can stay in the tank and I was thinking South american pitchers so there is not dormancy. Hopefully this helps. Thanks

South American pitchers are a little tricky. You might want to start with something a little easier, like a Nepenthes or even a Cephalotus

poppycorn: helis can be finicky, but it is quite possible provided you can give humid AND cool conditions....creating a false bottom with egg crate light diffuser. what kind of lighting fixture is it? 2' or 4', 2 bulbs, 4 bulbs, 6 bulbs, 8 bulbs? (more bulbs are better)

somethings to invest in as well:
ultrasonic humidifiers (i'd get two)
squirrel fans (http://www.ioffer.com/i/nano-cube-mini-aquarium-cooling-fan-quiet-new-size-149557035)
mylar

keep in mind that heliamphora are highly elusive (im assuming you're in the states) here...they tend to pop up in full force but disappear for 4-5 months in terms of availability. it is even harder to find Heliamphora species, most Heliamphora found in the states are hybrids as well, but hybrids are easier to grow so they'll make good starter plants. good luck :)

I can recommend Heliamphora minor, which is a diminutive species and in my experience quite easy to keep.

Thanks so much for the help. Any other carnivorous plants that do well in a tank my size?

@poppy: with Heliamphoria, orchidioides utricularia would compliment very well, so would South African and South American Drosera. HL Nepenthes would do well also--- you will have to do a little research as to which ones will be suitable for a terrarium as some grow fairly large, but not as large as most LL Nepenthes.

This has been a huge help. thank a lot.

Back