What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worried about the temperature in my terrarium

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I just set up some grow lights for my indoor terrarium and I'm a little worried. I placed a thermometer inside and it says it's about 95 degrees inside the terrarium. I have a Heliamphora Minor arriving later on Wednesday and I'm wondering if it'll be okay inside the terrarium.

Probably not at 95. What are you planning to do to cool it during the day, or night cooling for that matter?

95 sounds very steep to me.

they can survive up to 80F. so i would some how cool that maybe 15 DEGREES F.

Have you tried measuring in different areas ?
Theres like 20f difference between the coolest and hottest spots in mine.

Can you add a CPU fan or two. I have two "wardian cases" that i grow orchids and my Heli and Cephs in. Both have CPU fans that run during the day and just sporadic at night. They both have a single CFL. There have been a few times the fans die and i have to close the blinds to keep the sun out... or they get hot fast. The cases aren't air tight either so i would think a standard sealed tank might heat up faster.

The heli seems to like it just fine and grows and flowers.

I left a little gap in the top of the terrarium, so now it's a reasonable 85 degrees

you should leave a gap anyway for air circulation leave about 15% of it open and if you use a small fan it should helpp circulate the air and lower temps

Back