What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Highland cooling system using slightly modified A/C

It's not the power consumption that is the issue, its that I live with my parents and they would not want an "unpolished" set up with ducts and stuff running from a window AC or anything unrefined. The reason I have gone this route is because it should, in the end, be just about completely enclosed and polished.

Well then the chiller would be the best choice :)

I've never heard of this aquarium chiller thing! I looked it up and it seems interesting, but what would be the best way to use it for CP's?
In a small tank in a closed chamber? Where would the heat go?
I've been using AC for years and would like something that looks, well "cleaner"
The AC cools the whole room the chambers are in for 2 months. Drops the humidity, but the plants still do well...

Heh, quogue, Wayne was telling me about "The Tipitiwitchet guy", funny to run into you on here ;)

Basically this is my large planted vivarium and the aquarium chiller cooling system:

252228_10150190861606975_684326974_7317780_5328026_n.jpg

I imagine you could set up different things, but the way mine works is I have a waterfall that runs through the chamber, circulating cold water all over. The media stays wet with this water, as it drips down over the waterfall edges in certain places. This gets the night time temperature down pretty well, but I need to throw in a fan to circulate air, then it'll be perfect.

If you have the classic terrarium set up with potted plants, you could fill the bottom of the tank with water, and elevate the plants to just about the water level. Use a good chiller to cool the water, and blow a fan across the water surface to cool the air.

I'm glad my site is talked about :D

This looks interesting, but my set-up's pretty big... & cold air falls so it probably won't be suitable for me. I'll probably stick to the A/C & watering with refrigerated water and misting with refridgerated water with the possible addition of a fog machine... with refridgerated water.
I used the ultrasonics before, they're ok. not enough for me though. Gonna try out a new thing I found.

Your set-up is really nice! Love the natural look!!
Take a look at the Orchidarium's if you have a chance. I've had one for years and they work & look great! Although a tad bit pricey they have everything but the cooling built in. I usually use em for Lowland type stuff but I've used em for Highland in the basement with great success.

I've been around here for some time actually, but been too busy with other projects to post photos here much. Just a few times a year these days it seems...
If you like CP photos, then check out my latest thing: KaelinStudios

Last edited:
I'll be trying something similar pretty soon hopefully. Thanks for showing your method!

Could probably come out cheaper using a fridge as a chiller. Same principal really. Circ cold water through a radiator in the tank. I plan to use a fridge setup for my small tank and a deep freezer for my GH. run antifreeze water through the pipes. Should work great.

Back