What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soil Mix

So I just put new soil in my terrarium and I am having doubts about whether it will work or not. I know most people recommend a general soil of 1:1 peat/sand mix. the problem is the only stuff I could find at Lowes was an "organic peat" which I was told was the same as peat moss. I think the soil is fertilizer free but it is really dark and almost clayie, it seems like mud and not lite like most potting soils. Am I worried about nothing or should move the plants I have in there and order some "peat moss". Thanks for the help.

Peatmoss is a black thick sludge when properly wet. As long as it doesn't have a fert, the soil should not be a problem for the plants' health.

I use peat that is labeled "organic peat" and it works fine. Just add some perlite to the mix. The Horticultural grade Course perlite works wonders.

I use peat that is labeled "organic peat" and it works fine. Just add some perlite to the mix. The Horticultural grade Course perlite works wonders.

One problem with that..When you water....all the perlite will float to the top...it doesn't always do that in pots because there is drainage, but in a terrarium it will...especially if too much water is added.

thanks so much, this is really good to hear

That would have to be some serious watering to start displacing periite within the substrate. Especially if you have a drainage layer at the bottom of the terrarium. If you are also using sand in the substrate mix then I don't think this should be a problem unless you over water something fierce.
You could just go with some orchid fir bark as well. Or pumice.

Back