What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New setup and/or greenhouse!

Hi everyone i have finnaly got my own greenhouse and i have lots of questions so first here are the pics.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/eou812/Picture518.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/eou812/Picture519.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/eou812/Picture520.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa363/eou812/Picture521.jpg

Ok so there are the pictures and now for the questions. Should i leave the greenhouse outside and still put my carnivorouse plants in their (tropical carnivorous plants) or would it be to hard to care for them and just move them inside of the barn? But then i would have to do something about light and that might be a prob. and right their it gets at least 7 hours of sunlight a day at least right now in the Summer it will be more but right now it is getting 7-9 hours of direct sunlight a day. So any suggestions or anything i don't want to kill my tropical plants so please help me on anything i am doing wrong or what i should or anything thanks as you can see i have some Bonsai in thier to and if i can put my CPs in thier i will have a Ultrasonic fogger in thier thank you. :-D
You can look at my growlist and look at all of my tropicals and those are the ones i will be moving in the greenhouse except maybe the Heliamphora and it depends but also maybe my Cephalotus.

judging by the trees in the background come summer you may end up with less light....once the canopy forms and the trees fill in with leaves it will block out alot. Is there a window in your house that get s alot of sun? what i do is i put mine in front of the window so the top half gets a lot of natural light then the lower half i used artificial lighting. Once your temps are enough def try outside jsut make sure with direct sun it doesnt over heat thos little buggers can get over 100 inside real quick i cut a hole in mine at the top to allow air flow with a fan sucking hot air out.

Oh yes i forgot to mention i will open it up diring the Summer and when temps. are real high i will put a fan in thier and thank rball. Also yes i will have to see about how much sun in the Summer and yes there is a window with a lot of light but my Mom doesn't want it inside and outside it is on the front porch so and right now it is on the front porch of the barn which is South facing. Thanks rball for the info please i need more info from every one i can thank you and thanks for quick response!

umm well id say once it warms up and there are no more chances of frost put them outside, just makes sure you tie it down, the wind will blow it away and destroy everything inside.

Well, I can say one thing....I'm willing to bet than in the summer, you will probably have problems with overheating, especially for things like the ceph.

Hot day + hot sun on greenhouse = Steamed vegetables.

Yep that's the one thing i read bad about it so yeah i will try to do that and thanks. Also it already has warmed up here LOL look at today http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...FC&textField1=33.4568&textField2=-85.1323&e=0

I def. wont move them out there today or tomorrow becay look at tomorrow looks bad.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Yeah when it does get REAL hot like 80+ i will open it and put a cooling fan in thier and thank Exo and Rball!

oh and ps dont be suprised if the stitching comes undone around the zippers mine did but dont worry some double sided tape fixes the problem real quick

Ok thanks got it.

First of all.. that's a grow hut/tent/rack. The difference is you can walk into a greenhouse. But one benefit of owning a grow tent is you can keep it in the house and control every aspect of it's climate, light, heat, humidity.. etc. etc. If I were you, I would put it in the house all year round, add some lights to each rack, maybe a fan, some trays of water under the plants to keep the humidity up.. and boom, a completely controlled grow environment.
Nice addition.. your CP's should love it.

Well i would need to put some lights in there and i have some florescent bulbs like T12? I think and they are really long and the wouldn't fit on top or inside of the greenhouse so i guess i will have to buy some or i can get some more light bulb connecter sockets the ones where you can screw a light bulb in a cocket and on the other end you can plug it in the wall that's what i am talking about and put three-four of those on one shelf and use one shelf or less those shelfs are big and thanks for the advice and i can always need more so keep up the advice and Mass do you mean to say DO NOT PUT IT OUTSIDE? Or just saying what you think and what is best?

I agree with Mass on this. When you asked in the chat about greenhouses your grow rack is not what I thought you were talking about. I have one of those and gave up using the plastic for anything outside. It was no help in creating a microclimate outside and was only good for a windbreak. I ended up just using the rack as a place to put plants out on the porch for the summer.
Keep it inside where you can create a nice enclosed microclimate for your plants.

and they do make fixtures that fit those racks nicely.. I think they are what.. 2'er's (24")? And being that the bulbs are that close to the plants, T12's should be fine.

Last edited:
if you go to a hardware store u can buy a bathroom vanity for lighting that holds 3 bulbs for like 15$ thats what i used and iput that on my rack and it held 3 cfls wich works great.

OK thanks i will check that out.

I have now put all of my carnivorous plants in my new grow hut except my hardy ones so what i am trying to say is i moved all of my tropical Carnivorous plants in my new grow hut i will try to post pics on Friday or Saturday.

I have one of those in my garage right now with my CP's in it and so far it has been working great. I have some cfls in old aquarium incandescent hoods on each shelf above the plants with a 32qt rubbermaid tub with some hydro pellets and water to up the humidity on the very bottom. So far it has worked for getting seeds to start and keep some of my smaller plants going.

Thanks James i hope it works out for me to.

Everything is going to be much happier..

Back