What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nevermore's new bog (movie!)

OOOooo.. I watched your vid. I didn't realize THIS was the bog you were talking about all this time. I'm proud to say some of my plants have made it in there.

Thanks

i definitely am adding the hardy dews.. but i need to find out about the ultrics first before i add them too!

Wish I would've sent some bigger clumps of the dews now.. I just sent so many that I thought a couple plantlets of each would be sufficient. :blush:

Thanks

i definitely am adding the hardy dews.. but i need to find out about the ultrics first before i add them too!

the ultrics may not survive the winter...

I think you might need to confine them and also to bring in clump before every winter so that you wont need to buy the plants every year.

Sounds good... i have them indoors now in a grow chamber.. will have to see how they do...

No another question with the bog... every few days I find a pitcher that seems to have been cut off. It is a fairly clean cut... i assume it's a rabbit coming by at night and just tasting. I haven't found droppings in the bog.. but i always find them in the yard. The pitchers are just laying on the ground right next to the plant.. so they aren't being eating.. just cut. This hasn't bother me too much since they were only getting the old pitcher stems left over from last year... but this morning i found a couple new ones..

so now it's bunny fighting time! I will try and use the liquid fence stuff (smells great!).... or i have the cayanne pepper i could try.

Would you agree it's rabbits? besides that... only robins/morning doves (and a peacock) venture into the yard.. but i have watched them when they are near the bog.. and they don't seem to bother it at all.

Here's the bog today.. with plant's a' growin'
Have the bog near the fence has definitely helped with wind damage.. but it is still a drag to see nicely growing pitches fallen over. I have had to wire a few up. Hopefully once the plants get a bit more dense, they can protect each other a bit.

DSC02479.jpg

nice red blooms
DSC02480.jpg

My new leah wilkerson
DSC02481.jpg

And here is some unknown plant that i have had for many years... does anyone want to chime in on what they think it might be? it gets fairly floppy though... so it isn't a favorite.
DSC02482.jpg

DSC02483.jpg

And last... the cat vs the peacock. i just installed a storm/screen door.. so now the cat freezes when the peacock comes up on the porch. He just makes this constant growl sound that you can barely hear. Fun@!

DSC02476.jpg

Last edited:
you...have a peacock?! that is awesome haha! Have you considered a chicken wire frame to keep out any nibbly critters? I know it isn't very pretty but it also might help with the windstorms with a few adjustments...

We used to have a peacock in our Garden, then we moved :-(

not my peacock. There are a few at a horse farm about 1/4 mile away. They just wander the subdivision ever day. There use to be 12+ that would come in packs.... it's was quite odd to look at your neighbors house and see a pack of peacocks hanging out on their roof. But they apparently stopped traffic at a major intersection and the police got involved.. and the horse farmer only said he had 3. So i don't know where the rest went.. dinner maybe :) . There were a few peahens originally, so they were breeding at the time.

We have fed this one a few times... as does one of my neighbors... so it comes around a lot. I will have to fence off my strawberry patch though, cause he loves raisins and fruit. Fairly tame bird.

Besides the early rabbit damage that i had a few weeks back, nothings seems to mess with the bog. I have been using that spray rabbit repellent... smells like death.. but has worked great so far.

updates

The bog is coming along. I lost a lot of my vfts though.. we have have a super wet spring... i am going to replace some and add a lot of material to open up the media under them to keep them a bit drier then the rest. Also, do psittacina's take a long time to get started? This is the first year with one and it has barely put up 1cm starts of pitchers .. that's it.

DSC02545.jpg

DSC02548.jpg

DSC02547.jpg

Fall Update

Well here's the bog now getting ready for winter. It's looking a little thin because I pulled a handful of favorites to overwinter in the garage. If i don't have any losses this winter, they will stay in there next year. When i dug them out, i was thinking the roots would have grown in much more deep though. They all had nice white growing roots, but even some of the larger plants didn't seem to have grown in too deep. I suppose next year, they will be even happier and more settled in.

I have also trimmed away a lot of the withered pitchers. I did loose a few plants this year. My psittacina, purp venosa, purp montana all seemed to just fade away. I will have to replace these in the spring. All but a few of the vfts just withered and died too. Like I posted earlier, we had the wettest year ever in the area, so I will try again next year with a more open media on them. Needless to say, I didn't have to add any supplementary water either. Others i had did great and have increased in size.

The tarnok that I have had for years never ever did much in my mini bog.. But this year it put on a great show. The Dana's delight also did great, I like the hot pink color it got.

For winterization, in some form.. I am planning on adding a thick layer of straw for insulation. I was thinking about creating a PVC framework that overlays the whole bog with a mesh or screen across the top. The straw would then be held off the media by a few inches. I would think this would help for cleaning in the spring.. But also in regards to keeping rot at bay. Any thoughts?

PS- I am going to try to add some vft seeds into the bed to overwinter and see what happens. Has anyone tried letting them go to seed in a outdoors bog?

:censor: PSS- I am now not a fan of squirrels.. We are in a newer subdivision without a lot of trees and therefore squirrels… but there is one blasted one that comes from the woods 2 yards away and plants his walnuts in the bog and throughout the yard (which is mostly nice easy to dig garden soil). It's a pain to come out and see a plant partially dug up and have a huge hole in the bog. This same squirrel was walking down the fence.. where there was a red tailed hawk sitting... he proceed to go within 3 feet of it.... the hawk just sat there looking at him. Then he gets closer.. not making a sound or shaking his tail.... proceeds to hop to the lower rung of the fence.. goes under the hawk and hops back up to the top next to the hawk. The hawk fluttered his wings a bit as the squirrel proceed down the fence...

Bog_fall2011.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a beautiful bog garden.

:censor: PSS- I am now not a fan of squirrels..
Me too. They like to take the bird seed that falls out of the feeders and plant them all through out my bog. I need to make a chicken wire cage or something...
Nice bog!

Loved the video showing the building process. Wonderful bog. Beautiful peacock and cat.

Thanks. Though you can have the cat! The wife convinced me to get cats when we first got married... and apparently we ended up with some real winners. One has hairballs all the time and the other gets constipated. It's a great combo!

If anyone does have any Purps (besides purpurea) that they would be willing to part with .... i do have a small ceph that could go for trade?

winter sleep

I trimmed them all back today and made a PVC frame and covered with a plastic mesh... then added on a thick layer of straw. I staked in some wire hoops (borrowed from the excess political signs after the recent elections) at an angle to keep the mass of straw from blowing around much in the winter.

This mesh will keep a 3-5" opening under the insulation. I am thinking this will keep the rot at bay a bit... plus just make the clean up in the spring a lot easier.

(the tower of straw on the right is a fig tree also sleeping through the winter.)

bog3.jpg

bog4.jpg

Good idea!

-

page 1... from the spring this year

very cool time lapse.

how much did you spent on peat and sand alone

Back