What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me pick a new GH

• Thread starter mass
  • Start date
Mother won a poker tourney, and is donating $1200 to me for a new permanent outdoor GH.
I've got a lot of choices, but a few things to keep in mind.

1. I live in a zone 5 (Michigan) with harsh, cold winters. (Aluminum frame is probably best)
2. Heating/cooling will need to be figured into the cost.
3. Size matters, bigger the better. Mom thought a 10' x 12' sounded kind of small. :-O
4. Everything needed, GH included, cannot cost more than $1200.
5. I have a 2 week deadline to hunt, shop, select, and order.

I'm open to suggestions and recommendations. Let's hear what you guys think. Links are appreciated.

Last edited:
FarmTek has some great affordable complete kits.

holy crap they're expensive!

Just remember Travis, you get what you pay for. Don't waste good money on a crap product just to get it.

I agree 100%.. but I've got to get a GH and supplies like heat, all for $1200.

yeah, thanks. It's a tough hunt thus far.

The cheapest decent one I've found is 3Kish.

that makes two of us.. Think I'll just have to put the whole $1200 into the GH. And save up all year for the heating.

You'll have all summer to put $$$ away for the fall, go for it.

keep an eye out at other ghs or nurseries maybe at some point the got upgrades and have their old equipment laying around. Wouldnt hurt to go through the phone book and calling as many as you can and ask if they have anything laying around that you need and are willing to make some money on. Just an idea hope it helps.

don't forget to consider a shade cloth for the summer months.
If I do not use mine, even here on the Coast of Or., the temps just skyrocket with all vents and doors wide open.:-(

My father in law (who'll be 80 this Christmas) picked up a snap and grow from Home Depot last year on sale for about $600. It's "only" 6x8, but 6x8 is better than 0x0, right? ;) Anyway, he DIYed the heating (single ceramic heater, was about $20, I think). He uses a fan on really hot days only. It's vented on both sides of the pitched roof and has additional venting tiles low in the front on either side of the door. No, it's not 10x12, but I don't think you'll find anything that large in your price range at all. He said it can also be extended to 12x6 in the future for something like $300 or $400. It's aluminum and polycarb plexi.

@rball: Way ahead of you. I've already began my local search.
@Larry: Also, way ahead of you. I've figured a shade cloth into the price of my purchase. Mostly because the location of the yard where the GH is going get's full sun all day.

My father in law (who'll be 80 this Christmas) picked up a snap and grow from Home Depot last year on sale for about $600. It's "only" 6x8, but 6x8 is better than 0x0, right? ;) Anyway, he DIYed the heating (single ceramic heater, was about $20, I think). He uses a fan on really hot days only. It's vented on both sides of the pitched roof and has additional venting tiles low in the front on either side of the door. No, it's not 10x12, but I don't think you'll find anything that large in your price range at all. He said it can also be extended to 12x6 in the future for something like $300 or $400. It's aluminum and polycarb plexi.

I found a 10' x 12' for $600. But it's not quite sturdy and thick enough for my needs. And I've already got a 6' x 8'.
I'm wanting something that's at least 6mm thick on the sides. I've been eyeing some of the Juliana and RION models. Though I still can't imagine either one being able to withstand a Michigan winter when it comes to heat retention.

Hope this helps. A couple people recommended these types to me. I'm getting one next spring.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-12-ft-greenhouse-with-4-vents-93358.html

It's actually $200 cheaper on eBay. But I decided against it after seeing this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_3o9EbtvX8

I found a 10' x 12' for $600. But it's not quite sturdy and thick enough for my needs. And I've already got a 6' x 8'.
I'm wanting something that's at least 6mm thick on the sides. I've been eyeing some of the Juliana and RION models. Though I still can't imagine either one being able to withstand a Michigan winter when it comes to heat retention.

It's actually $200 cheaper on eBay. But I decided against it after seeing this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_3o9EbtvX8

they do sell insulation cover material, this may be your option for the colder months.

So the bubbles make it cost 45% less of alot! which is half of alot!

seriously though. Greenhouses are not that expensive. The expensive part is running them! Even with double wall polycarbonate AND the bubble wrap on the inside you are looking at an R value of about 4 at most..Be sure you calculate ahead of time the operational costs as well as the fixed costs for the equipment and construction etc. A good place to start to get an idea how much energy it will take to maintain a certain size greenhouse at a set temperature when the outside temperature is at a specified degreehttp://www.igcusa.com/greenhouse-btu-calculator.html You can plug in various temperatures and sizes as well as greenhouse covering material to find out how many BTU it will take per hour to maintain your desired temperature. Take that information and you can calculate how much propane or how many Kwatts for an electric heater etc.

Back