What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenhouse really messed up please help

Please help i bought a greenhouse about 4-5 months ago from Lowe's and now the plastic is starting to rip from the seams that hold each corner together. They were tiny rips so i didn't worry much but i still would like to fix does anyone have a solution or remedy for that problem? OK now for the main problem. Both zippers that zip up the greenhouse flap to let it air out and stuff have come off. I have put them back on but now they will not zip back up. I don't know what to do can anyone help? Is there anyway i can fix the zipper problem? Or do i just need to order more plastic?

Here is a link to the greenhouse i bought. (i know its a cheap one)

http://www.lowes.com/pd_217498-5832...=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=greenhouse&page=3

Please help.

Thanks,

Ean.

No help here other than to say I looked at those for my bonsai a year or so ago and decided they were just not worth it. If I can't do a rigid GH, I'll just make do with what I have. Unfortunately, having had problems with other cheapy plastics of this type in the past, I think the only was to repair the walls/seams even semi-permanently will be duct tape. McMaster-Carr has "stick on" zippers for plastic sheeting. Instead of trying to repair what you have, removing the stitching and replacing the existing zipper might be a better means of salvaging what you have. You might also consider "hard siding" it on three sides (left, right, back) with plexiglass. Maybe the top as well. But, you're looking at investing maybe $50-100 in parts to do ALL of that.

Thanks i really appreciate that great info i will try it.

+1 for mcmaster! Gotta love the big yellow book! Most of he DIY I've taken on with my grow rack has been done with McM supplies. They're not cheap but the selection is awesome, the products are high quality, and the shipping is FAST

Shee, yah... I needed an inline flow meter some 6 to 10 years ago for a reef tank to tee the main pump through a chiller and still leave it full open through the returns. You'd think SOMEPLACE reef related would have something like that right? Nope. I knew it HAD to exist and, sure enough, MC had it.

Ayup, McMAster has saved the day, many times. Even repaired the boat, once.

I can't give much advice to save the GH, though. The plastic might not have been the right kind, and might be suffering from UV degradation or even simple wear and tear.

Nah, if you've seen them, it's probably the seams and material. They're really, like shlocked together in some asian kiddie labor camp or something. I mean, the stitching is already comng out on many of them just out of the box.

Yeah, those things are terrible. I've never seen one last more than a year outside without showing major wear. I crunched the numbers once, and it seems that if you plan to use it for more than two or three years, it's more cost-efficient to build your own mini-greenhouse rack using moisture-resistant wood and greenhouse-quality polycarb.
~Joe

Sorry for the hijack eou812. Yup seedjar, thinking about it, maybe after the chicken coop and run're done.

I wouldn't have thought you would need a GH in Georgia... isn't it really humid and mild-wintered there? You could probs just leave sarrs outside unprotected. If it were me, I'd sort out a place to put the tropicals in the winter, then bring them out in the summer... things wouldn't overheat then, either.
Can't really help with fixing things, but that would be my own take on the matter :)

Humid yes but only in mid to late Summer. Winters can be extreme. Two years ago it got down to -5 degrees F. That is the thing i have my tropicals outside. I never have protected my Hardy carnivorous plants except one time. That was only because the temps during the day never got above 20 degrees F. for a week and they were in small pots. I have to many tropical carnivorous plants to put them in my house.

Thanks anyways.

Ean.

Back