What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Bog

Hi All

This is my bog in my backyard, it is about 7 years old and with the same plants, Past year had slug damage, YUCK Killed most of the VFT and sundews, Pitcher's they left alone. But thought you guys would like a look,

Cheers Jim
bog-1.jpg

sar.jpg

sar1.jpg

Nice. Do you do anything special in the winter?

Leaves cover and in the fall and than i remove them. I have been cleaning it up and it now looks cleaner. I dug out about 4 inches and added in new soil. silaca sand and peat. The bog is about 24 inches deep. I have a pct of it from 2 years ago in full bloom.
Bog07-15-06.jpg

nice! So besides the loss of the vfts and dews to the slugs... did you loose any Pitcher plants to the winter?

How much mulch do you add? and do you just do the leaves straight on top or put burlap down first?

That's awesome! One of these days I would love to try a bog.

Hi Nevermore
Leaves do all the mulching, Just blow them away with a blower in the spring and add some soil to replace what was lost or I need to take out due to any weed or just plan not good anymore. Alos no loss of any pitcher plants. What is cool is that as the rhizomes spread out and new plants start i can cut them off and start new ones and i sometimes give them to people that want to start the same thing i do.
This summer as i take cutting if you guys want some i would send what i have to you. Just ask.
:eek:)

Gota find away to keep slugs out through!! ARGGGGGGGGG

Cheers Jim

Copper gives an electric shock to slugs, so you can surround it in a ring of copper wire.

Also, slugs cannot escape a Venus fly trap.:grin:

Very nice!

Thats beautiful!

Well done sir - mine is just waking up

Copper gives an electric shock to slugs, so you can surround it in a ring of copper wire.

Also, slugs cannot escape a Venus fly trap.:grin:

I believe he said slugs ate his flytraps (VFT).

Very nice looking bog. Thanks for sharing.

Oooohhh... so THAT'S what sarrs look like. I almost forgot.

Back