What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filler for bog gardens?

Will mixing wood, pine needles, and dry autumn leaves in order to reduce the amount of peat you need be a good idea. the peat should be able to preserve these high carbon materials and prevent them form leaching nitrogen. High carbon materials also hold water well.

i stack the bottom half of my bogs with upside down plastic plant pots. and put pine bark between them.

Silly question here... why do you guys build 2 or 3 foot deep bogs and then worry about "filler"? Why not just a shallower bog?

Silica sand is what most people use.

Pine needles and bark are probably ok if you're planning on changing the media every three or four years since it is acidic Once it starts to decompose it will start releasing whatever nutrients are in it. I have no idea what pine needles or barks rates of decomposition are relative to peat moss.

Silly question here... why do you guys build 2 or 3 foot deep bogs and then worry about "filler"? Why not just a shallower bog?

Deeper bogs will last longer without water.
I only have to fill mine if it doesnt rain longer then a month.

Deeper bogs will last longer without water.
I only have to fill mine if it doesnt rain longer then a month.

Gotcha, thanks, I was kind of wondering if it were some other reason. I'm thinking on starting one next year but don't relish digging 3 foot down. BTDT with ponds, not fun. Watering, that I don't mind, even if it's every day. It only takes a few minutes, after all.

Back