What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium Lighting Questions

I'm planning on setting up a terrarium and am going to use a 30 gallon fish tank, this is about 3 foot long, 1 foot wide and 16 inches high. I've been looking at these lights, although they're expensive and I think I'd have to use 3 to grow Nepenthes, some Drosera and some Heliamphora;
http://www.salehydroponics.co.uk/st...er-T5:-2ft-24W-%2d-6400K-Single-Lamp-Kit.html

I've also been looking at these, whilst have a slightly smaller wattage output, theyre a lot cheaper so I could afford 4. Although I'm not even sure if these could be used to grow plants at all! http://www.bltdirect.com/product.php?pid=1402

Could anyone tell me if these would work or point me in the direction of a good place to find suitable lights?

Thanks for any help and advice!

CT,

That first light is a T5 strip light with no reflector, that would be a major inefficiency...
You would be much better off with a common T8 shop light that has a reflector, and it will be cheaper.
(Of course T5 with good reflector would be best, but the most expensive and heat may be an issue in a terrarium)

Dont buy any light that doesnt have a reflector of some type, remember... 66% of the bulb is pointed in the wrong direction.

;-)

Av

Oh I hadn't thought of that, thanks! I've found the same light with a reflector and it is indeed pretty expensive, would I still need multiple lights if it has a reflector?

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Would this be suitable? http://www.swelluk.com/aquarium/fis...-units-184/arcadia-t5-starter-units-6667.html

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

Sorry, the 'Arcadia Twin T5 Lamp Starter Unit - 24-39w'

It may be a little much for the neps and a little weak for the helis...

so i guess its a good middle of the road choice... maybe put the helis in the center and the neps at the ends to balance things out a little
It's nearly impossible to get too much for helis, that would be the least of my worries...

:)

Last edited:
Ah thats good to hear :) Neps are my priority so if it's a bit strong could I just heighten it a bit? I'm assuming the answer is no but could a Heli survive on a windowsill or outside with my flytrap? thanks for the advice!

yep, you can increase distance... and plenty of ppl grow helis on windowsills and outdoors

but ill be honest, 39w may not be too much for neps anyways mate... compared to what many ppl use that isnt a great deal

Ah thats good, thanks for your help! :)

With the depth of a 30 gallon I would (personally) try getting the plants closer to the light, especially the Drosera since most species dont get too tall. Even in my 12" tall terrariums I try to get the plants a few inches closer...

For the 30gal. The height will be a problem in the beginning. You may want to make a bench or platform inside the tank to put the Nepenthes closer to the light. Eventually when they grow taller you can drop down the platform.

That light mentioned above will not work. You will need 3 of those with reflectors. I'd suggest looking for more t-5 HO's.

Items i recommend: Mylar/foil/aquarium backing material on the sides and rear of the Terrarium to reflect more lights towards the plants.

Note: Most Nepenthes will out grow the 30gal very fast. It is almost not worth it. I'd suggest a 40,50,55 at the very least and those are still small.

Petco has 1$ a gallon sale now so pick up the biggest you can find.

--
I'm putting together a 40gal. I'd recommend for this is a t-5 ho quad 4x39 156watt. The color bulb (K) is best at 6500k/6700k

---I have extensive Poison Dart Frog and aquarium knowledge.--

@steve, thanks for the advice but from what I've read i think these will be sufficient for now :)

-

Now do I go for cool white or warm white, or a mixture of both?

A "cooler" bulb will have a color temp closer to a daylight bulb I believe. I would still definitely plan on raising the plants up quite a bit. Not only would it help get more light bu it would also give room for the Nep pitchers to hang rather than restricting them to the bottom of the aquarium.

Ah thanks for the help :) Yeh I'm definately going to rasie them, approximately how close to the light should they be? I'll probably stand them on upside down pots unless anyone can share a more stable/natural look?

Right now in my 12" deep tanks I have them placed on egg crate (light diffuser) that is resting on small PVC pieces. I filled in some of the space with shredded LFS to catch the water that drips through the couple small Nep pots I have at the moment. I didn't exactly want to see a bare-bottom tank with a few puddles...

As for how close, it will depend on exactly what you plan on growing as heights will vary. I would say as close as possible without the plants getting fried although that doesn't really help much. Right now I would venture to guess that all my plants are about 5-6" away from the lighting, maybe a bit farther.

I'm thinking of having like a clear false bottom standing on whatever that will allow me to lower it as the plants get bigger, thanks for the advice :D

Back