What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CreatureTom's Terrarium :D

After many loans taken out from my parents, I have finally finished my terrarium, short of a mini fan. I'm super proud so don't be too harsh with the inevitable criticisms! ^^

IMG_2641.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

Left side

IMG_2651.jpg

Middle

IMG_2643.jpg

Right side

IMG_2647.jpg

Upcoming N.Truncata QoH x KoS pitcher, looking like it's going to be nicely bigger than the last!

IMG_2650.jpg

Upcoming N x 'Black Knight' pitcher

IMG_2654.jpg

Cheaper than buying ridiculous amounts of sphagnum ^^

Temp reaches around 25C in the day, HOPEFULLY dropping down to 15C in the night (I put it together today), humidity stays at around 85-90% in the day.

Looks great, thanks for sharing.

Nice start! Look forward to updates!

Looks pretty good! Quick question: what's up with the sand with the N. truncata? What was your thinking on that?

Thanks! The sand is layers the whole of the terrarium, covered by a plastic sheet, this just lets me raise the plants whilst keeping them buried in the sphagnum moss :)

Thanks! The sand is layers the whole of the terrarium, covered by a plastic sheet, this just lets me raise the plants whilst keeping them buried in the sphagnum moss :)

Right, i can see that, but that N. truncata looks double-potted in some white sand or something...

Right, i can see that, but that N. truncata looks double-potted in some white sand or something...

The N. truncata is planted in a special pot developed by Borneo Exotics, they describe it as follows:

"We're unveiling a brand new product for the first time at Chelsea. It's a self-watering unit that will enable anyone to grow Nepenthes at home with ease."

It looks like a variation on slack-potting, with the outer media being a type of polyurethane foam strictly for the purpose of regulating the moisture levels of the inner media. This would allow the setup to hold a great deal more water which could be wicked into the inner media without overwatering, especially helpful for those that might be new to Nepenthes. If you look closely you'll see what I'm talking about, you'll also see the sharp angles where the foam was cut with scissors.

I recognize the foam because I use it for everything.

Oooh right sorry I didn't know what you meant. Yes it is still in the plastic and foam thing from BE as I'm yet to make a decent potting mix for my Neps as the the only thing I can find locally is a ready mixed CP soil which I don't trust one bit...

The N. truncata is planted in a special pot developed by Borneo Exotics, they describe it as follows:

"We're unveiling a brand new product for the first time at Chelsea. It's a self-watering unit that will enable anyone to grow Nepenthes at home with ease."

It looks like a variation on slack-potting, with the outer media being a type of polyurethane foam strictly for the purpose of regulating the moisture levels of the inner media. This would allow the setup to hold a great deal more water which could be wicked into the inner media without overwatering, especially helpful for those that might be new to Nepenthes. If you look closely you'll see what I'm talking about, you'll also see the sharp angles where the foam was cut with scissors.

I recognize the foam because I use it for everything.

Oh woah wicked cool! Thanks for the clarification.

After returning from a dig in norfolk for 2 weeks I think the progress made in my terrarium is worthy of an update :D
Sorry for the giant pictures as usual!

IMG_2795.jpg

New Royal Truncata pitcher, they're getting better and better!

IMG_2810.jpg

The whole plant, growing consistently without problems

IMG_2809.jpg

H. Nutans x Heterodoxa with new pitchers constantly coming

IMG_2799.jpg

Ceph finally settled in and working on new pitchers

IMG_2800.jpg

N. x'Black Knight' new pitcher bigger than expected!

IMG_2801.jpg

And now for the windowsill...

IMG_2802.jpg

My first flower ever :D

IMG_2803.jpg

D. Binata proving its reputation as a speedy grower to be true

IMG_2805.jpg

Cobra Lily doing well

IMG_2806.jpg

D. Rotundifolia, my newest addition that my mum 'acquired' in Scotland

IMG_2807.jpg

Not much but worth at least one response!?

Nice job in general

Your darlingtonia looks happy. Any idea as to its day / night temps on that windowsill??

Thanks, day temp is around 20C on an average day, going down to about 13C at night

That ceph is gorgeous.. If I were you I'd clip those leaves as close to the rhizome as possible. Then stick the cut ends of the leaves into the LFS around the tank. With some luck, you'd get a bunch of little cephs popping up throughout your tank. ;)

Oh yeah.. hahaha.. I totally forgot I changed my avatar last night. There's one of my tanks. The neps are temporary though. Just some cuttings getting their roots..

<----------

Thanks! I actually looked into taking leaf pullings today but I don't have anything like superthrive to soak them in :/

Thanks! I actually looked into taking leaf pullings today but I don't have anything like superthrive to soak them in :/

You don't need to. I sometimes soak them for 5 min. in RO water after cutting, but it's really not necessary. My last batch of cuttings weren't soaked in anything.. and I got 5 strikes out of 5 cuttings. ;)

Oh awesome, I'll get cutting today!

Oh yeah.. hahaha.. I totally forgot I changed my avatar last night. There's one of my tanks. The neps are temporary though. Just some cuttings getting their roots..
Looks nice! My plan with my tank is to buy young neps so buy the time the outgrow it I'll hopefully have a greenhouse and the tank can be focused on cephs and whatnot :)

You have some really nice plants there, thanks for sharing. Your tank looks amazing. Good work.

Awesome. Very nice. I love the "Black Night" Now I know I have to get mine more light! It is not that red anynmore.

Back