What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grow Rack is up and running...mostly

Hi all,

I finally got around to setting up the new grow rack I've been planning for months. Thank you again to everyone who gave me their input.

Once the semester starts and I settle back into the teaching groove, I'll post a more detailed build journal. For now, I'll just leave you with a quick description:

6' T x 3' L x 1.5' D Steel Shelving from Target
Sides and back covered in a cover my fiance sewed for me (emergency blanket sandwiched between two clear shower curtains)
t5 x 4 on the top shelf, t5 x 4 on the lower two
1 gallon humidifier
So far, daytime High of 78, low of 60.

6047161771_fe92f6841d_z.jpg

The top shelf will hold my smaller highland Nepenthes, my Heliamphora, a couple orchids, and my airplants.

6047713924_0c7ab9b1d6_z.jpg

The middle shelf is for my Pings, Sundews, and Utrics
6047163057_6338ffe018_z.jpg

And the bottom shelf is for germinating seeds and growing plugs, leaf pullings, cuttings, etc.

Now I just need to order more plants. It's far too empty :) Thanks again to everyone who offered advice.

everything is looking good!
looking forward to seeing what goodies you plan to add in!

How'd you get the dramatic mist D:

Looks like an exhibit atthe botanical gardens!

Nice :)
but what kind of fixtures are the lower two?
just curious.... so much of the bulb is exposed in the pics

Thanks all!

@waterkirby: I plumbed one of the large model Walgreen's ultrasonic humidifiers to dump fog over the humidity trays on the top shelf. I really dig the look.

@av8tor1: I forget the exact brand, Sylvania I think. I found them in Home Depot marketed as "grow lights". They come with these diffusers, but the sides are opaque, causing a big loss of spread. I've ordered some reflectors for each bulb that should come in later this week.

Nicely done! I too dig the look of the fog.

Totally reviving this thread here... which is fine by me, because this rack is an excellent piece of work!

This may seem incredibly anal of me, but... where did you get those black trays? Do you have a brand/price/website? I'm looking everywhere for something with those dimensions and I just can't find them. The closest I can find--and the trays I actually use--are the same big Rubbermaid containers as the one you have on your bottom shelf to hold all your supplies. You say my own rack inspired elements of your design... well, the feedback loop continues as I'm about to build out a system of humidity trays based on your rack!

Standard seedling propagation trays, you should be able to find them just about anywhere - Lowes, KMart, hydroponic stores, nurseries, online stores that sell pots and propagation supplies.

@thefury: yup NaN is absolutely right. I bought mine at OSH for about 2 bucks a piece. You want the kind without drainage holes.

Also, here's what's going on underneath the sphagnum. I cut a sheet of eggcrate to just match the inside shape of the tray and sit it on top of three lengths of pvc pipe. This allows you to fill the bottom inch with water and not have your plants sitting in it. I poke the sphagnum through a bit to make sure it can reach the standing water. I've done this for years to grow moisture loving orchids, so it only made sense Nepenthes would benefit from it.

Humidity update: turns out the old humidity gauge was broken. With my original settings, I was actually looking at 80-90% constantly. I'm now down to running the humidifier twice a day and getting 70%-85%. I threw a fan on there for good measure as well.

I LOVE that sphagnum/egg crate idea! Been trying to think of a way to do something with sphagnum to help raise local humidity... And just letting it soak in the water leads to a nasty mess... I like this idea much more!

Thanks Brie :)

I will say that I have been able to get a little bit of live moss to grow on the bed of dead lfs, which is a miracle as live sphagnum hates me. It only grows well for me in my talangensis pot. I can't for the life of me figure out what's so special about that one pot.

Back