What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mato's Pic Thread.

• Thread starter mato
  • Start date
That's some really cool "glue!" Beautiful Lecanopteris. Do you find it tends to grow up, out of the medium (see second picture)? I've heard this is the habit of some species. I only have L. mirabilis, which hugs the substrate, and L. sinuosa, which also tends to grow up out of the pot and might be better mounted.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's some really cool "glue!" Beautiful Lecanopteris. Do you find it tends to grow up, out of the medium (see second picture)? I've heard this is the habit of some species. I only have L. mirabilis, which hugs the substrate, and L. sinuosa, which also tends to grow up out of the pot and might be better mounted.

I haven't paid a lot of attention to it, but it seems like they start to grow vertically when they've run out of substrate or are positioned in such a way that may lead to it. I grow a species similar to L. sinuosa (L. lomarioides) that is also scaly and seems to have more of an affinity for vertical growth than the others. I'm not sure why that is, but you may be correct in that it would do better mounted. So far, mine are all simply growing on the surface of pots with Nepenthes.

Wow, your collection has grown to such splendour! Everything is just stunning mato :O

Thanks, Danny. I haven't seen you on here in quite a while. Hopefully, all is well.

N. macrophylla

Dexenthes mentioned that he hadn't seen this cross yet, so here it is. From what I've seen so far among various seedlings, "hairy hamata" seems to dominate the cross.

N. hairy hamata x hamata

N. hairy hamata x hamata

As the pitchers get a little larger on this species, I can see why some people think the peltata in cultivation are peltata x mindanaoensis.

N. mindanaoensis

N. jaquelineae

N. deaniana

N. veitchii x trusmadiensis

Only a few months old (puts Nepenthes seeds into perspective).

Myrmephytum beccarii

N. maxima

Rhododendron celebica

N. lowii x ephippiata

First intermediate pitcher

N. rigidifolia

N. stenophylla

N. angasanensis

[URL="http://www.omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi?name=Nepenthes+angas&submit=Submit&search=all"]N. angasanensis[/URL]

Lookin' sweet ! Love the N. deaniana, can't wait until mine gets some size on it.

Love the N. lowii x ephippiata.. gah, I'm so stupid!
Tried to get my hands on a N. veitchii x TM [and "TM" is supposed to be the name of, what plant?], but the US supplier couldn't fulfill my preorder.
You seem to always get first crack at everything! Lucky ducky..

Thanks, guys. N. deaniana is turning into one of my favorites, too. It's pitchering steadily and grows relatively easily.

Travis, the N. veitchii x tm [and "tm" is supposed to be the name of, what plant?] is from Christian Klein, not EP. I don't think people pounced on his very quickly, but it's the nicer of the crosses in my opinion.

Gotcha..

Last edited:
I saw it, and yeah, he's not really that common outside of Europe. Makes some really great crosses on occasion. His nursery is sort of a private endeavor, though, sort of like a very big hobby.

Last edited:
Dexenthes mentioned that he hadn't seen this cross yet, so here it is. From what I've seen so far among various seedlings, "hairy hamata" seems to dominate the cross.
Good to see these plants have gotten out (& congrats on getting one). It'll be interesting to see how the pitchers (& peristomes) develop.

You saw that huh? Google is so quick and easy!
Didn't EP do a N. veitchii K x TM though? That (IMO) would take the cake. That'd be my holy grail's adopted kid brother. Different parents, but all the love.

I thought they were going to use that form, too, but from what I understand, they used something else. Not even sure if it was striped.

Andy Smith's plant was the reason I went after this cross and I'm pretty happy that it's looking at least similar in appearance (Here's his: http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/thread/11711)

I love that N. stenophylla Mato! Is it seedgrown or from a particular source? Looks very similar to many of the ones I saw in the Maliau Basin.

WOW!! That N. lowii x ephippiata is the most beautiful pitcher I've ever seen I think! I'd love to find one to add to my collection lol.

Plants are looking good!

Your collection is just downright amazing. I am especially struck by N. rigidifolia, not a very well known species but so stately!

Thanks, guys. My green prisoners and I appreciate the kind words.

Mason, the N. stenophylla is just one of the BE clones. It's probably one of my favorite plants and one I try to shamelessly promote whenever I get the chance.

Back