What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mato's Pic Thread.

• Thread starter mato
  • Start date
That's pretty awesome. Even though I live close to the land of all manner of native Rhododendrons, I find myself drooling over the Vireyas.....

"This machine kills fascists."

N. hurrelliana x veitchii by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. merrilliana by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. veitchii x x trusmadiensis by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. maxima by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. faizaliana by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. klossii by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. argentii by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. macrophylla by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. robcantleyi by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

Salvia divinorum by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. reinwardtiana by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. veitchii by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

burb on Platycerium

N. burbidgeae by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. x trusmadiensis by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

Stuck in eternal recurrence

N. lowii by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. lowii by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. hurrelliana by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

Begonia sizemoreae by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

Jesus... show us some boring hybrids for once!

I dont even know where to begin. Nepenthes hurrel., lowii, klossi, s. Divinorum, and veitchii are bombshells. Theyre all amazing!
Spectacular array of flora

Last edited:
Woody says, "Thanks!"

800px-Woody_Guthrie_2.jpg

Very nice buddy!

Stupendously fantastic update!

Thanks for including the argentii. ;) Is it showing the bat wings yet?

It's really good to see N. faizaliana as well, I have not really seen many photos of that species before. I used to have a small one back in the day, seems to be a very colorful plant.

Beautiful plants, beautifully cultivated, as usual. You have proven that quality results can be had with artificial lighting :)

That's pretty awesome. Even though I live close to the land of all manner of native Rhododendrons, I find myself drooling over the Vireyas.....

Ain't no calendulaceum or prunifolium quite THAT red!

Beautiful (and inspirational) plants, as usual! And love the Guthrie tribute. :)

Thanks, guys.

Dex, that was sort of a weird photo of the argentii. I had to reach in to the back of the tent, pull it out from a pot, and try to get a photo. It's a really, really tiny pitcher, but you can already see evidence of the peristome continuing underneath the lid. It was too dark for me to actually get a photo of that, and I had to manually brighten the pitcher in post editing to actually show a bit of color and have the peristome look like more than just a black line (which is also why it looks slightly more purple than it should). In natural light, they do exhibit some really nice color, though. I would just have to remove the entire plant to show that. The faizaliana is the clone sold by Malesiana Tropicals, which consensus seems to indicate isn't just another fusca. I grow a couple of fusca clones, and this shows a few characteristics that indicate it isn't just another one of those. It's surprisingly slow right now, so I'm pretty eager to see what the pitchers look like as it matures.

Thanks, Paul. If only I could control the other parameters a bit better. I visited Scott a couple of weeks ago, and his plants are also being grown under T5s in a grow tent. The difference, though, is that his are all pretty much enormous. His pots are definitely a lot bigger than what I'm using, which makes a difference, especially with regards to secondary growth, but what really stood out to me was that there was essentially no heat emanating from the tent (which is in an unfinished basement that naturally stays cool and doesn't fluctuate much). This is one reason why I recently offered to trade my 8-bulb Tek Light for a 4-bulb fixture (preferably from Contractor Lighting). The extra light simply doesn't outweigh the added heat of the former.

And Woody Guthrie... Oklahoma's recent vote to ban AP American History courses brought that quote, and that Okie, to mind (revisionism scares the hell out of me). Irrelevant to plants, though.

Dude... great plants! you could rewire your lights for remote ballast, that would remove at least some of the heat.

Awesome plants mato! I love the hurelliana x veitchii.

Gorgeous plants as usual. Ever since we had our tent 'conversation', I'm really looking forward to getting my basement plants into one easy-to-access location. The new location is a corner where a lot of crap has accumulated over the years - over the past few days, I think we have it about 1/3 cleared. I'm planning for some extra space so hopefully I can start making some cuttings again & also give many plants larger pots.

Dex, that was sort of a weird photo of the argentii. I had to reach in to the back of the tent, pull it out from a pot, and try to get a photo. It's a really, really tiny pitcher ...
That looks like the nice Wistuba clone - right? It's definitely not the small, weak BE clone that I have...

That N. hurrelliana upper shows that the species is beautiful with both uppers & lowers - really great plant! :hail:

Needed to clean out one of the terrariums yesterday, so I was able to see some plants that I haven't had a good look at in a while.

Lecanopteris spinosa by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. clipeata by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. clipeata by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. rajah by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. tentaculata by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. x kinabaluensis by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. x kinabaluensis by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

Assorted ant plants on the rajah pot

Myrmecophytes by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. mantalingajanensis by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. pitopangii by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. hairy hamata x hamata by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. hairy hamata x hamata by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. attenboroughii by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. attenboroughii by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. rigidifolia x spectabilis by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice update! Really wanting an N. tentaculata now. Your clipeata is at about the same stage as mine.

The mantalj. And attenbouroughii blew my socks off.

I have 2 attenb. Seedlings and i cant wait to see how they turn out as well.

Thanks, guys.

@NemJones: The mantalingajanensis has been a royal pain in the *** for me. I've had it for two years and only now is it beginning to grow larger. I didn't even realize it had pitchers before I took it out.

The little N. rajah pitchers have so much character. They portend great things...

Back