What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mato's Pic Thread.

• Thread starter mato
  • Start date
Now that is a truly inspiring sight!

It's great to see all the photos of your very extensive and excellent collection!

Oh my Lord! Breath taking update..
Your collection has become truly epic! You're like the next Pygo.

I'm going to avoid commenting on each plant that popped out at me, wouldn't know where to begin.

gunna save this update in my favorites for perspective anytime i feel like my collecting is out of control. this collection is seriously stacked.

Insane collection Mato. Wow!! beautiful plants.

Thanks, guys. The collection has become large. While I was putting all of the plants back in the rack last night, I actually felt a little disgusted by it. I'll be thinning the herd in the near future.

Some of those pictures are a few months old - before I added the LEDs, and were taken just prior to repotting. I've found things have been growing much better since I "dumbed down" my media: greater proportion of sphagnum, no more aquatic plant media (Nepenthes will not root in it), no more horticultural charcoal (again, the roots don't like it), coarse perlite instead of pumice, and some laterite for the ultramafic species. I recently learned of a local source for pH neutral coconut husk, which I'll likely be using in place of orchid bark in the future.

That is an amazing collection! We have the same taste in plants except for the fact that you have them and I don't. :(

heck yeah, all i use is LFS, perlite and coco husk chunks. simple is best, especially when the plants say so :)

Good Lord massive sensory overload! Amazing looking plants mato. Everything seems to be growing extremely well for you!

That is an amazing collection! We have the same taste in plants except for the fact that you have them and I don't. :(

This I agree... me too. :) lol

:0o::0o::0o: And I thought I had space issues!

Gotta say my favorite is the Winslowii :lol:

Not too much to add that hasn't already been said - epic :hail:

Very interesting tubby little glabrata pitchers - have they always been squat like that?

On your media change, there's a thread on CPUK now about orchid bark (but basically covers lots of stuff) -- I'm amazed that collectively, Nep growers haven't found more common ground with long term potting issues. Obviously there are differences in growing areas & watering regimens that must be considered but beyond that, longer-term media degradation is something we must all face (I know - this is a huge topic that has been discussed ad nauseam - so I'll stop now).

Just based on my experience over the recent past, you should start planning for add'l space - like now - LOL. Once a few of the plants go into vine mode, everything gets ugly fast. The setup goes from a reasonably nice, orderly group that you can cruise by & enjoy to something you're fighting every day. Each vine will make a determined beeline to the lights to try to ensure the growth point gets seriously damaged. And this happens at the same time that you've been longing to see what a real upper looks like - while you really want to see a pitcher, the vine is disrupting your entire growing area and also destroying the new pitchers in the lights ---- aaaaargh! Then there are the orderly, but massive plants like robcantleyi - when you think it can't possible take more space with those huge leaves -- it does. :0o:

Last edited:
I can actually pic One favorite out of all these beauties, & that would be N. Ovata!!

:0o:wow mato all looking amazing,real nice sanguinea you got there,is that a seed grown talangensis?wow again:0o:

damn dude, everything looks great. I have to agree with favian..

I can actually pic One favorite out of all these beauties, & that would be N. Ovata!!

Astonishing. And, I suspect, it only gets better.

It's been a while and wow. . . I'm speechless. Quality and huge variety! N. edwardsiana, N. rigidifolia?! You've outdone yourself.

even your sarrs are weeks ahead of mine!!! they look great, love the view!

that cobra lily looks to be sizing up winslow :lol:

Back