What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mass's "up the humidity" project

I'll have to check out Walgreens then good job.

Remember though Mass is using RO water, so no mineral build up or very little.

Never had to use a humidifier so dont have any experience with them, but if I was doing it I would probably hook it up to a humidistat to ensure the humidity was always where I wanted it.

Travis,

Many growers use theirs for cooling as much as humidification.... in which case its on constantly and you dont really want fog. Fog indicates that the air has reached saturation, no more cooling can be achieved through evaporation.... so you are wasting energy trying. I adjust output and airflow to get good blending and maximize cooling. There is no apparent fog past 18" of the humidifier's output, and even at that point its hard to see.

I run mine constantly during they day, I have plants within 2 inches of 6 T5HO bulbs.

In many setups (especially those like mine), humidification is a secondary benefit of using an ultrasonic humidifier.

Always shades of gray mate.....

Av

For me running a humidifier 24/7 with a humidistat ensures that the chamber stays as humid as I want day and night without going over. In my original setup back in 2001 or so I shut off at night and the lids on my hamata closed over night, and opened during the day with the humidity on so humidity all the time as well as airflow, to bring in cool air at night. I figured the cool wet winds don't stop in the wild after dark so why should it in my enclosure?

If I let the humidifier & intake fan run without any humidistat control eventually the plants are soaked by the fog and they stay wet, this is not a good situation as sooty black molds can develop on leaves and tight spots. With the air continually swirling and the fog stopping just as the correct humidity is achieved (with the fan still going to swirl the air) the plants never get a chance to have water actually sitting on the leaves unless I've soaked them with the sprayer.

Looks like we're all on the same page then.. As of now I'm only "fogging" the area in the morning for a nice cool fog, letting the plants bask in the light during the day, then fogging up the area once more in the evening. The GH is all AC controlled, but it only cools to 62*. The mist helps bring it down to the 58* range.
I guess I'll continue with this method for a little while to see how everyone reacts. So far it's looking promising. My pissy moody burb x eddy (which is yet to pitcher for me) has already stuck it's growth point into the air and started unfurling a new leaf.
Fans are already running.. inside the area, and out.

IMG_7172.jpg

To answer the one question, I think it's good to fog only twice a day...otherwise, you'll get fungal issues from constant wetness.

So.. This is the shizzy.

I keep the area sealed from 11pm-noon (9am-midnight light cycle), allowing it to fog up for an hour before the lights go out, and 3 hours after they come on. Humidity is at 90% during that time. Around noon I open it up (until 11pm) to allow better air circulation. At which time the humidity drops to 82%+. Temps are staying around 75*F during the day, and 58*F at night.

Also.. I love this.. The frame is the perfect height for me to be able to get my cephs and helis right up to the lights. Since the enclosure is open during the day, I just simply move the fog tube from there, to up above where the light lovers are. There is a fan blowing right on them to keep them from over heating, and to keep the fog from hitting the lights. So far.. so good.. All of the cephs responded instantly to the increase in light. The stats up there are: 80% humidity & 82*F. Not too shabby..

IMG_7176.jpg

IMG_7178.jpg

IMG_7177.jpg

IMG_7179.jpg

Purple & Red clones got tons of color after just a few hours..

IMG_7181.jpg

IMG_7182.jpg

And since everyone was moved up to the lights, I was able to change ceph towers into TUBER TOWERS!!

IMG_7185.jpg

Ohhh..that's a really good setup! :-O

Thanks buddy.. so far the plants are responding really well to the changes.

Amazing... Details on the lighting of the cephs may I ask? Love everything

Amazing... Details on the lighting of the cephs may I ask? Love everything

That would be the giant 8 bulb T5HO fixture that's hanging 6 inches above them. :p

IMG_7177.jpg

Cool. Now I understand why your plants grow so happily

SUCCESS!!

So just for the log..

3:08am
Up above~Cephs & Helis~ 70% humidity - 52*F
Inside enclosure~Neps~ 88% humidity - 48*F

This is absolutely perfect. Not only am I achieving ideal night temps. But now I can keep my AC running to 75*F during the day (to keep the temps down around the helis & cephs, which are very close to the lights), and still achieve a 15*F-20*F temp drop at night. I am quite pleased..

Last edited:
Awesome
Hmm
What's your electric bill

And since everyone was moved up to the lights, I was able to change ceph towers into TUBER TOWERS!!

YAY!!!

Lookin good! I WAS gonna ask about how far away the flouros were but you fixed it for the cephs :)

Awesome
Hmm
What's your electric bill

About $100. Which isn't bad considering it's my only bill other than property taxes, and car insurance. But those bills only come around twice a year.
You could say I'm livin' the dream out here in the sticks. I own the car, the land, and the house. Just living out my life getting old, fat, and growing CP's.

YAY!!!

Lookin good! I WAS gonna ask about how far away the flouros were but you fixed it for the cephs :)

flouros..? :scratch:

Fluorescent lights, I think he means.

And wow...everything looks...very lush and happy o_o
I kinda wanna do the tray thing with neps cause life would be so much easier. But on the other hand, I don't have money for that much bark :lol:

Fluorescent lights, I think he means.

And wow...everything looks...very lush and happy o_o
I kinda wanna do the tray thing with neps cause life would be so much easier. But on the other hand, I don't have money for that much bark :lol:

I was able to get a large bag of orchid bark for $23 from my local nursery.. Not too bad.

Daytime log..

3:44pm
Up above~Cephs & Helis~ 77% humidity - 77*F
Inside enclosure~Neps~ 84% humidity - 72*F

I am very pleased with the stats logged during the first full 24 hours.

Mass where did you get your light fixtures?

Back