What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my next terrarium project; a storage tub

losfreddy

Composter
Hi all. I'd like to take a moment to share with u this intuitive new strategy to growing carnivorous plants which has yet to b tried out, but I have done similar techniques with much success.

Materials needed..
A large sized, clear tub
Clear trash bag,
Duck tape,
Polyfil (optional)
And some basic tools (razor blade, a socket and a stove)
Optionally a pressure cooker and oven bags. I'll explain y in a second.

First, get ur tub. Im sure you'll find a source somewhere. Preferably look for one with a clear body and a snap on lid.

Next, use. Razor blade to cut an inner rectangular shaped hole in the lid.

Using a clear trash bag, match a cutting over the hole in the lid and duct tape it down.

Now, heat a socket up till its way hot. Use some pliers to grab it and burn holes around the tub; a few holes on each side is good.

Optionally, u can fill these holes with polyfill. This is to help hold moisture in while keeping out most dust and yuck while still allowing it to breath.

U can now fill the bottom of the tub with peat moss or whatever u use.

Since mold and contamination could b an issue, u can optionally load ur moss into an oven bag and a.) Cook it in the stove at a low temp for an hour or two or b.) Pressure cook at 15 psi for about an hour. This should kill mold spores and keep ur moss clean at least a while.

now u can sow ur seeds. If ur moss get too dry, u can dunk it in water and pour the water off thru one of the holes u burnt. B sure to make one hole low for this purpose. Hope this helps. Happy growing.

IMAG0036.jpg

Last edited:
Back