What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new heli chamber

What kinds of temperature differences do you get between a 4-lamp and 6-lamp fixture in that setup? Got any recommendations on supersonic humidifiers (brands, prices, where to buy)? Do you have an air conditioning unit as well as a humidifier?

Sorry about the barrage of questions, but the helis just look spectacular and I must know more! :D

What kinds of temperature differences do you get between a 4-lamp and 6-lamp fixture in that setup?
None really, but since the 4 bulb is further from the airflow the cold spot temps seem to be hotter (desirable)
Got any recommendations on supersonic humidifiers (brands, prices, where to buy)? Do you have an air conditioning unit as well as a humidifier?
Just Humidifier...

Humidifier review: http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119674&highlight=sunpentown

Sorry about the barrage of questions, but the helis just look spectacular and I must know more! :D
Recommend you read this thread: http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127020&highlight=sunpentown

HTH's
Av

Why is your text red :0o: Butch?

Challenge accepted :p

Where would you recommend buying some t5s butch?

i like using contractorlighting.com, go to their highbay page in menu

Thanks butch, I want to improve my lighting but man the bills keep addin up! Hopefully it'll pay off in the long run.

they are a whole lotta bang for the buck, good Advanced brand ballast, good German style 95% reflectors

hard to beat

I didn't see this mentioned, Butch... sorry if I missed it, how long do you let the pump run before it shuts off, and how often does it run? Also, how deep does the water get in the plant tub?

i fill the tub up to about 3/4ths of the pot height. The pump runs for about an hour (daily).... but it doesnt really matter as long as it reaches the depth. Once it begins to drain, the drain occurs faster then the pump fills. So it doesnt refill, the pump just sort of circulates till the timer shuts it off.

I do run an aquarium air pump continously in the reservoir. I feel this saturates the water with oxygen, much like natural rain would be. This should kill any anaerobic bacteria that tries to find a home in my heli pots. (that and the draining of the water allows fresh air to fill the root zone and displace the bad)

Or at least I think it should :p

Last edited:
I really wish there was a "like" button for some of these posts.

One month update:

Start: (8th Oct. 2011):
topshelf.jpg

(23rd Oct. 2011):
update.jpg

Today (12th Nov, 2011)
11122011.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Av

Beautiful! So, all of the plants were replanted into identical containers for the new system?

Beautiful! So, all of the plants were replanted into identical containers for the new system?

as much as was feasable at the time, didnt have room to do it for all... but yes, that is the eventual goal.

Most are now in 6"x 6"x 6" and all round pots are now gone!!!

Most of the lower shelf is done as well, but there are still quite a few 4x4x4 left in it.... Im using it for small divisions and immature plants.

woohoo

Last edited:
Christmas colors!

spectacular mate....we need to see the second shelf....*tappin foot*....hows that renovation coming along? :p

Ummmmm its doing well considering its mostly the runts of the litter, new divisions, recovering divisions etc

The new 4 bulb T8 with GE Chroma 50 bulbs is doing well enough, but yes.... I know, you want pics :p

Runt of the litter? They would probably put my plants to shame. :p Lets see them!

Back