What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new heli chamber

haha uh oh, time for a size upgrade!

I agree, once they're happy they grow considerably fast.

noooooooooo no more upgrades, enough is enough :p

What upgrades?
You already got wheels on the thing! (can see them in the picture)
I assume they're so it can be taken out & you can walk your plants around the block like others do with their dogs!
Give em' some fresh air & sunshine for a bit & such, huh! :lol:

...I know, it's the under-the-bed box, but I am just keeping an open mind & thinking "outside the box" so to speak!
(Or is that "thinking the box outside" this time!) :-D

As always, nice looking Butch! You are indeed the Heli-meister! :hail:
Good Growin!
:water:

Those Helis got huge! I'm glad your system turned out successful. Thanks for the detailed instructions you trend-setter you....

Plants are looking phenomenal, Butch. Looks just like a reverse of mine, with the exception of one thing: What is that small hole on the left side of the chamber?

Thanks for that colorful postcard from Tincher Massif; and, Butch, where do you fall on the current election challenge to Hugo "So, is there wind on the moon?" Chavez?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2010/08/hugo_boss.2.html

RIP to the late, great candle with wicks at both ends. Figured you were linking one of his slate articles when I saw the delusional Chavez quote.

Thanks for that colorful postcard from Tincher Massif; and, Butch, where do you fall on the current election challenge to Hugo "So, is there wind on the moon?" Chavez?

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2010/08/hugo_boss.2.html

LOL, perfect timing.... I actually watched a report on the current election just a day or two ago....
I don't think anyone believes Hugu will be around 4 yrs from now. He has his strongest challenger so far but is still leading in the polls by double digits.... However, there are some major storms on his horizon.

only you my friend :p

Plants are looking phenomenal, Butch. Looks just like a reverse of mine, with the exception of one thing: What is that small hole on the left side of the chamber?
RIP to the late, great candle with wicks at both ends. Figured you were linking one of his slate articles when I saw the delusional Chavez quote.

Ahhhh good eye, not a hole though.... velcro mount for temp/humidity/static pressure probes

and thanks all for the kind words :)

Hi Butch - Old thread, I know. I just thought I'd let you know I am completely ripping off your design for your, for lack of a better term, ebb and siphon system. I'm in the middle of it currently. Hopefully it's all still working for you. I'd hate to find out it tanked after a short period of time. ;)

Hi Apoplast,
Long time no see...

Still working as described, been problem free other than needing the aquarium hose changed out every so often (3-6 months)
(they get restricted with age, algae etc.)
but that is cheap routine maintenance

but the system works awesome imho

Hi Butch - That's great to hear! I hope your finals are all graded and grades submitted. Our administration decided to make the last final on the 23rd this year! Insanity!

I do have a couple questions for you about your system and line placement. How far below the rim or pot tops is the drain line placed? Where are the feed line and drain line placed in relation to each other in terms of depth (i.e. is the feed line lower than the drain line)? I'm thinking of placing the drain line about 2cm from the top of the pots, and the feed line below the drain line so it can more effectively scavenge if the pump goes too long. Thoughts?

Oh, I should mention one little modification I'm making. I'm using 3/4" hydroponics grommets, with 1/2" id vinyl tubing for both the feed and drain lines. That size tubing fits with the hydroponics pump I'm using, and should reduce the need to change the tubing as often - or at all I hope.

Yes, feed line is lower than drain line... and drain line is approx. that from top of pots as well. This is for the exact reason you stated

I like the idea of the small diameter line, reason being is that with it can maintain suction even as the last of the water slowly drains from the pots. With the small diameter line I can pick up a mixture of air and water and still not lose suction. I think with a larger diameter line you will lose suction prematurely. However, the amount that we are talking about is probably minimal. That was my reason for using the smaller lines anyways, and it does work as I hoped.

I'm still using the same pump and I only change reservoir water about once every six months... but have to add to it quite often due to evaporation and transpiration. Cant get much more reliable than one moving part ;-)
Reservoir stays about 18-30ppm even though I add trichoderma monthly

Would be interested in hearing how the 1/2" line works out.

FWIW, When I met Jeremy at ICPS, he told me he adopted my system as well and was quite pleased with it.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's working perfectly for you. That's great to know! I completely agree that a smaller diameter line will better pull the last bits of water out. I expect there might be a bit of water still on the bottom. If that happens, my plan is to set all the pots up on fluorescent office lighting egg crate to keep them out of the remaining water. Of course, then I'll get into algal growth issues, but if it's flooded every couple days I am hoping coagulating films don't have a chance to form. But, I'll let you know.

Hi Butch - Well, I've got the shelf set up. Sans plants at the moment. The 1/2" ID tubes do a good job at draining much of the water. They leave about 1/8" of water at the bottom of the tray. The shelf is a bit slopped at the wrong end so it pools. I'll need to correct that moving forward. But, it only takes about 8 min to fill and about 3 to drain.

I'm going to have to put the pots on fluorescent light egg crate to keep them out of the water at the bottom, but that will also stop the pots from floating. Do you have trouble with your pots floating? If so, how do you prevent it? My plants are in a pretty airy mix. :awesome:

no, but then my pots are filled with 1:1:1 turface, lfs and perlite
so they resist floating naturally.

never really considered that as an issue during the design phase, but I can see where it could be.

I guess inert pea gravel in the bottom of the pot would work... or do as your egg crate will do and reduce the flood level.

I'm glad its going to work for you, its simplicity and effectiveness is elegant imho.

Hi Butch - I'm going to try the egg crate, and hope that works. Your plants are in Turface?! Obviously it works for you. But, I've heard about aluminum leaching issues with that as a soil component in acidic conditions. Interesting. I'll have to look back over the references and figure out how much stock I want to but into that.

Next up is a sprinkler system for my tuberous dews. :rookwoot:

I've used it for years...

/shurgs lol

Hi Butch - Well the update with the plants in finally is that my new "Tincher Tray" (Patent Pending <- I assume you are working on this) is performing beautifully! The 1/2" ID tubing is fantastic, and now that I have the shelf angled ever so slightly toward the uptake, it pulls all but a few puddles from the bottom. It's on a timer to water 3 times a week, and I think it's going to do very well.

Right now, the only things I have in there are H. minor, H. purpurascens, Brocchinia reducta, and a bunch of Cephs. There is plenty of room to expand in the tray, and a shelf below for another Tincher Tray ("convenient care for all your Tepuis treasures!"), if I really need more space at some point. Thanks for posting your original build on this all that time ago! It's been very useful, and I'm grateful you put in the effort to share it.

Apoplast,

How did the system work out for ya?

Hi [MENTION=6193]Av8tor1[/MENTION] - Actually, I just logged on to let you know how things were going. It's working okay, though algae build up on the upper, full-siphon tube tends to break the siphon earlier than I would like, leaving more water in the tray. The layer still hits the bottom of the pots and also gets scuzzy, which then beaks the siphon earlier - you see the positive feedback issue there.

Can I ask you, why did you opt not to do a typical ebb and flow design? I'm thinking about switching over to that in hopes of lower maintenance. My fear is the gasket on the drain line will leave too deep a layer of water, and I'll be back to the same issues. Ideal would be a flush drain line, but I'm not sure how to create that. Tried it on another type of tray, and the silicone popped, making quite a mess.

I'd very much like to hear your thoughts behind your design decisions. Thanks!

Last edited:
I guess it depends on the definition of ebb and flow.
The common method is to use the pump to fill the tray then shut pump off and let the liquid drain back through the pump.

in that respect mine is ebb and flow if the timer kicks off while the pump is still running.

The one major advantage my system has is it is stackable. Once the liquid reaches the max height in the top tray, its output repeats the process for the tray underneath.

All this occurs with just one moving part.

IMHO, you understand what many miss in system design. The slow rise of the water forces the carbon dioxide and any other unwanted gases from the root zone. Then, as the water level slowly drops the voids it filled are now replaced with fresh air.

IMHO, too fast of a drain or fill can cause what is known as channeling in fluid dynamics. In other words, some gas pockets may not be scavenged.

But this is all just my humble opinion :)

Back