What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Distance from light (all species)

mato

BANNED
:welcome:Since I always seem to come back to this question, and always have such a difficult time finding it, I would like to start a thread that is specifically about the distance people keep each species of carnivorous plant they own from their grow lights (if you have any, of course).

Try to measure from the top of the plants, not the pots, and keep an average in mind. If you have any outliers that tend to skew your average either too close or too far away (like a very large plant, for example), mention it if you want, but still try to keep it simple and stick to the mode. Also, clearly humidity, temps, fans, and the kind of lights you are using are important, so mention this as well.

I was thinking it could be written something like this:

4 bulb T5 HO fixture / 3-tier open grow rack

Nepenthes (Highland): 23'' (plus 3 larger plants @ 17'') / 60% humidity / 70 degrees
Nepenthes (Lowland): 18'' / 80% humidity / 86 degrees
Pinguicula: 8'' / 40% humidity / 79 degrees
Drosera: 8'' / 40% humidity / 79 degrees
Cephalotus: 10'' / 40% humidity / 77 degrees
Heliamphora: none yet

I feel that if everyone can contribute some of their own measurements, it will make for a very nice average for others to reference. Once again, please be sure to mention the type of lights you use and whether or not your rack is open or not.

Lastly, if there already is a thread exactly like this, I apologize for my inability to conduct a thorough search of my own:sorry:. I once encountered a few posts where people did mention distance, but these are buried somewhere deep in the search feature and I haven't been able to locate them since (I'm sure someone will be compelled to find them and send me a link :jester:) Nonetheless, I think this was needed.

Anyway, please contribute!

I think that we should also put pics or specs of Sphagnum if you have it.
Anyway!

2 T8 bulb fixture / open grow rack
Drosera: 3" / 70% humidity / 72 degrees
(pic makes it look bad...)

Sphagnum: 6" / 100% humidity (enclosed) / 72 degrees

Nepenthes highland: 4" but keeps growing into the light / 70% humidity / 72 degrees
(pic of when I got it a week or so ago... waiting for it to grow more)

Sorry about the pictures... I still dont know how to make them smaller when I post them ???

Great idea, Zacham. Thanks for being the first to post!

I don't think I have any pics BUT...

2 bulb T5NO, open top aquarium, 78-80F, 50-60%
Drosera, small Neps @4-8"

2 bulb T5HO, open top aquarium, 78-80F, 50-60%
Mexican pings and pygmy Drosera @7-10"

^same 2 bulb T5HO, open rack setup, 75F, unknown humidity
Mexican pings and pygmy Drosera @1-4"

4 bulb T5HO, open rack setup, 75F, 40-60%
Drosera, small Sarrs, small Neps 4-8"

The last two are my current setups. I also have some Utrics growing well in the ambient light from the 4 bulb fixture.

8 bulb T5 HO fixture / enclosed table with some pedistals

Nepenthes (Highland): 23in / 75% humidity / 75F day, 60F night
Pinguicula: 30in' / 70% humidity / 70F day 60F night
Drosera: 23in / 75% humidity / 75 degrees day 60F night
Cephalotus: 9in / 40% humidity / 78F degrees day. 60F night
Heliamphora: 9in / 40% humidity / 78F degrees day. 60F night

4 T5 HO (54w) tubes over each shelf / two tier grow shelf

Nepenthes (Highland tank) : 8 inches from the tallest plant / 80-95% RH Day and Night / 70-75F day, 57-59F Night
Nepenthes (lowland tank) : 12 inches average (2 or 3 from the largest plant) / 80% RH Day, 100% RH Night, 84F-88F day, 71F-77F night
Ceph: 12 inches average (2 or 3 from the largest plant) / 80% RH Day, 100% RH Night, 84F-88F day, 71F-77F night (moving this to the highland tank and closer to the lights)
pings (out in the open in the shelf): 4 inches / RH unknown (dont care :p) / temps i'd guess about a little less than the lowland tank
drosera: 4 inches / RH unknown (dont care :p) / temps i'd guess about a little less than the lowland tank

I'm actually moving the lights up slowly each week as the plants are showing a little too much color in the leaves.

I was in the same boat, Rob. I recently moved my neps way down on my rack because of a few that were starting to develop yellow spots and signs of burn on one or two. Some of them loved it, but I wanted to stay consistent.

Savage Garden says no more than 12'' from the soil surface for all species. Closer is better, especially for the Drosera but not too close that you burn them.

Love this thread! This is really helpful for anyone without years of experience who is trying to expand or create a new setup. Good thinking!

Upper shelf: dews, pings, a ceph, and a sarr
-Two 2xT8 fixtures @2800 lumens per bulb
-Summer temps: 90-95 day / 75-80 night
-Winter temps: 70-75 day / 55-60 night
-Humidity constant at 75% (LOVE my hygrotherm :))
-Plants no more than 5" under lights

Lower shelf: neps & a heli
-Two 2xT8 fixtures @2800 lumens per bulb
-Summer temps: ~85 day / 75-80 night
-Winter temps: 65-70 day / 55-60 night
-Humidity constant at 75%
-Plants about 8-10" under lights

I was in the same boat, Rob. I recently moved my neps way down on my rack because of a few that were starting to develop yellow spots and signs of burn on one or two. Some of them loved it, but I wanted to stay consistent.

Ya my n. carunculata var robusta x merrilliana leaves are practically purple lol. I really need to move the lights up. I'm thinking of combining all 8 lights into one fixture and hanging them 4 feet above the plants. But then I would have to grow my lowlands and highlands under the same lights (in seperate tanks), which doesnt really work out that well when they need completely different setups :confused:

Back