What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone distill their own water?

fdfederation

Confused Magikarp
Is it worth it to build a water distiller that uses greenhouse heating?

I can't calculate the energy costs to boil water and then cool the steam in a condenser, but they must be pretty high. Do you use a lot of water?

I would think renting a mixed bed DI column and activated carbon column from a water treatment company would be cheaper. They come with an indicator light which tells you when you need an exchange column. The carbon is there to protect the resin from Chlorine in your water. If you have untreated well water, you would not need one for the Chlorine. The company can advise you what you would need.

How about melting snow? That is fairly clean pure water.

Yikes... wayyyyyy too much work. If you really need access to a large volume of clean water, buy a cheap RO/DI unit. With (a whole lot of) Butch's help, I bought and put together a cheap RO/DI unit back in... June? I think? and it's still pumping out 0ppm water, and I've been using it for... I dunno... 30 or 40 gallons a week since then? Greatest investment ever.

Yikes... wayyyyyy too much work. If you really need access to a large volume of clean water, buy a cheap RO/DI unit. With (a whole lot of) Butch's help, I bought and put together a cheap RO/DI unit back in... June? I think? and it's still pumping out 0ppm water, and I've been using it for... I dunno... 30 or 40 gallons a week since then? Greatest investment ever.

Congrats on the outstanding performance Reaper, you should do a detailed thread on your experiences with the project.... it would be so much help to so many others yet to come.

It really pays to do it right the first time, the long term cost benefits pay off big time.

My system has been putting out 0ppm water for over 6 years now with only one membrane and bead change. I not only use mine for my plants but also for my ultrasonic humidifiers, icemaker, coffee, tea and cooking.

(btw with the time change coming up, its a great way to remember to do your semiannual prefilter changes)

Butch

Last edited:
Please a detailed list would be awesome! Do this this and this for an awesome system. In just lucky my water is acceptable to my plants lol but I would love an RO/DI to serve my house too like butch described!!!!

A distiller would be way too much work. I have a 150 gpd RO unit I use for the Nepenthes cooling misters and as plant water. Only maintence would be changing out the filters once a year. Hope this helps.

I remember seeing instructions somewhere for how to build a solar distiller for cheap... That seems like it could be a pretty good investment for people in sunny climates. Something like this one, which puts out three gallons of distilled water a day.

Natalie, that was the same site that got me thinking about solar distillers :-)) I played around with the thought of installing something similar on the backyard patio roof.

jerrysmith, I don't use much water, about a 1~2 liters a month. I don't have very many plants to look after. I also use buckets to collect water when it rains.

1-2 liters a month?.... wow!
You definitely dont need a RO
With that little usage, I would just buy a gallon every couple months and be done with it.
Unless you are just wanting to play with the technology of course

:)

Av8tor1, that's what I do right now. I get my water from Winco, but I would like to distill my own water.

riceman, that would be a great option, but I'm more focused on solar distillers because they don't require filters. However, they do need to be cleaned of mineral deposits.

Man, I'm lucky the tap water in Portland is so clean: only 18 ppm!

1-2 liters a month?.... wow!
You definitely dont need a RO
With that little usage, I would just buy a gallon every couple months and be done with it.
Unless you are just wanting to play with the technology of course

:)

I agree 100%. Buy the water.

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

Av8tor1, that's what I do right now. I get my water from Winco, but I would like to distill my own water.

riceman, that would be a great option, but I'm more focused on solar distillers because they don't require filters. However, they do need to be cleaned of mineral deposits.

How much money do you want to spend? Here's a quick Google search result: http://www.nutriteam.com/servlet/the-Water-Distillers/Categories Prices vary from a few hundred to a few thousand.

I didn't read up on any of these products. But the minerals will always be left behind and will need to be cleaned out of the boiling chamber. We started using a product at work called CLR to remove scale from copper parts in a boiler. Very easy to use, and does not present a severe health hazard to use. Here's a link: http://www.shopclr.com/index.php?page=Product.Product&externalId=1443

Back