What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy Time!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
001-14.jpg

A few years ago, for 2 years, a co-worker of mine provided essentially the same dynamics. Unfortunately, he had to tell me he couldn't do it anymore. Another co-worker agreed to take them the following year but his conditions were not good - too warm and dry. I lost ~half of the collection. I had a wholesale greenhouse take them last year and the plants did well. But the owner was worried about the responsibility and I decided that I wouldn't ask her again. Before all that, before we moved, we were living in a 2nd floor apartment that had an attic. That attic was ideal - cold, but not too cold, with windows.

I was hoping to get the Botanical Gardens to house them for the winter and ultimately that fell through. I brought the plants to the meeting, at the Botanical Gardens, before I got her last message, stating that she couldn't take them. After the meeting we talked some more about it and the conditions wouldn't have been all that good anyway - total darkness. She offered her garage and that wouldn't have worked either. However, one of the guys in the meeting volunteered to house them for the winter. So after the meeting he took them. He has a garage that will be ~refrigerator temps and windows. That's about right. I offered to augment his small collection of plants.

This is the problem I'm facing. I took temperature reading in the garage I'm hoping to have my very few sarrs and a single remaining VFT to "sleep" yesterday. And as it turned out it was almost as warm as it was in the first floor of the house. Too warm even though its right near the thin door to outside.

I'm hoping maybe to use a very large styrofoam box placed outside instead. It will gradually cool down but the bacteria in the soil will keep the temperature above freezing with he help of the insulation that box will provide. I'll put in a thermometer probe inside to monitor the temperature remotely.

I also have access to a shed in the yard but it is made of flimsy steel panels and although it will protect from freezing wind and rain, it will offer no protection against the temperature drops.

Is light essential during dormancy?

I'm trying the refrigerator method and hoping for the best.

gill those plants should be fine outside the weather conditions in philli should be similar to north cal. where the vft come from,fill the box with leaves and put the pots in the leaves, it has been in the 20's ever night this week here and my unprotected vfts are sending up new leaves

gill those plants should be fine outside the weather conditions in philli should be similar to north cal. where the vft come from,fill the box with leaves and put the pots in the leaves, it has been in the 20's ever night this week here and my unprotected vfts are sending up new leaves

I live in hardiness zone 6. VFT's require 8 or better. Similar conditions are required for sarrs although I understand that they can tolerate slightly colder winters. We very often have prolonged drops to below 0C (32f). And ground stays covered in ice for long periods of time. The plants if left outside will freeze to death.

Mine are getting ready to go into the fridge for dormancy however here in the midwest the weather has been very inconsistent. Last night it was 27 degrees and major frost while tonight it is supposed to be 40 degrees or so. Also have just been procrastonating. Overall I have had alot of success with the fridge method. In the 2 years I have lost one plant and just like every method I use it is shortly after they come out of dormancy.

Back