What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mass's GH

some nep stuff..

N. tentaculata still chugging along..

IMG_9739.jpg

Found this little guy hiding out below pot level. A promising look ahead for this seed grown N. specatabilis x mira.

IMG_9732.jpg

that little lowii x spectabilis blunt faced pitcher popped.

IMG_9731.jpg

Is this variegation? First leaf to show this trait. N. truncata x veitchii HL 'Batu, Buli'..

IMG_9734.jpg

Another pair starting to pick up a bit. N. singalana 'Tujuh' (left) & mah new N. singalana 'Belirang' (right)

IMG_9730.jpg

Older veitchii K pitcher. A bit dirty and worn now..

IMG_9727.jpg

New one is starting to fold back.

IMG_9726.jpg

Newest upper from N. x leessii..

IMG_9721.jpg

Nice pics! Yep, thats varigated. Your Veichi K is soo red :0o: .

Everything looks great as usual. Hopefully that Belirang will start pitchering for you.

oooohhh that N. x leessii is super nice!

Love that Leesii, very pretty colors

I so love how you've got random plants growing in and around your Neps. Makes all the wider shots look so natural.

I so love how you've got random plants growing in and around your Neps. Makes all the wider shots look so natural.

Well thank you everyone.

Going to do some major rearranging this week. Thought I'd snap some pics while things still look good. ;)

Any species that are said to be fairly easy, but are still challenging to keep? Any giving you a hassle due to humidity/lighting/temperature?

The neps look amazing, as usual! The Truncata x Veitchii leaf looks really cool. I didn't know that nep leaves had spikes! That thing looks BA! :-O

Any species that are said to be fairly easy, but are still challenging to keep? Any giving you a hassle due to humidity/lighting/temperature?

The neps look amazing, as usual! The Truncata x Veitchii leaf looks really cool. I didn't know that nep leaves had spikes! That thing looks BA! :-O

*sigh* oh geez.. umm, no. Just a couple hybrids giving me a migraine atm. burb x eddy and N. (x tiveyi x veitchii H/L) x (northiana x veitchii H/L)..

It's actually a fuzzy brown hair you're seeing. Soft spikey hair..

*sigh* oh geez.. umm, no. Just a couple hybrids giving me a migraine atm. burb x eddy and N. (x tiveyi x veitchii H/L) x (northiana x veitchii H/L)..

You might have luck growing these as intermediates.....your setup is highlander conditions, right?

You might have luck growing these as intermediates.....your setup is highlander conditions, right?

Doing some massive rearranging tomorrow. Will make space in the warmer area for them.

Mass, you have one impressive collection of plants. The vetchii K somehow stands out from most of your photos, from leaf to pitcher, I'm liking the colours. Cute N. villosa seedlings, how are they? Awesome photo of the tiny bug on a vft leaf. "Land of the Dead.." was classic, Tree's of "live" Neps, all alone, in the dark? "Some dews going wild..", I lol'ed on that one ~_^. I like your "Older veitchii K pitcher" photo, almost looks as if it was taken from a jungle. I'm quite interested in Roridula at the moment. How is your Roridula, dentata or gorgonia? I think they're beautiful.
Thanks for sharing and don't hesitate to post any updates.

@oen: glad to see you finding entertainment in my thread. I'll be sure to keep the updates coming. ;)

An update after a day of GH work.

Moved all of my vining neps to the floor, and put together a rack for the tendrils and ivy to climb on. Hopefully that whole wall will be covered by this time next year.

IMG_9770.jpg

IMG_9783.jpg

Using the space as my new spacious intermediate section. Not done organizing, but at least things are put away for the day.

IMG_9750.jpg

Up above some of the light lovers basking.

IMG_9755.jpg

D. multifida f. extrema

IMG_9760.jpg

D. madagascariensis

IMG_9795.jpg

IMG_9766.jpg

repotted my D. admirabilis today. Had roots pouring from the bottom of the pot it was in. Can't wait for this baby to start stacking.

IMG_9778.jpg

Glad I did. Forgot where I stuck the #3 Czech Giant leaf I cut. FOUND IT!! It was in the admirabilis pot. Happily if I do say so myself..

IMG_9775.jpg

N. "Effulgent Koto" still doing it's upper thing..

IMG_9785.jpg

Thought this was cool. I got a sanguinea 'Purple' vine cutting. Was cut off at the top AND bottom, no roots or anything. And now we have this..

IMG_9780.jpg

Everything seems to be coming together nicely. The regia is still pouty though. Shortly after being repotted half of the plant got broke off. Long story.. Anyways, what you see is the half of the plant that was salvageable.

IMG_9794.jpg

WOW I love your setup man.... so many plants... its like a little jungle in your house lol :)

Last edited:
Great photos Mass, that madagascariensis truly is mad hah.

I know its mentioned somewhere in the thread... but much too long to look, how big is the greenhouse? Also do you grow your neps sitting in water?

Great photos Mass, that madagascariensis truly is mad hah.

I know its mentioned somewhere in the thread... but much too long to look, how big is the greenhouse? Also do you grow your neps sitting in water?

It's a 6'W x 8'L x 7'H. Not big..
They are slowly being phased out of standing water. Adding sandy peat and live LFS to the trays here and there. So in due time it will be a live and growing.
In this pic, front center of the tray.. you can see the live LFS starting to come up between the pots: http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n575/mass2256/IMG_9794.jpg

WOOT! everything looks awesome dude...

Nothing wrong with that size.

Sure do see it growing up... smart way to grow more lfs.

What are the drawbacks to growing them in a tray of water? One of the neps I picked up from the nursery today was sitting in 1/2" of standing water and seemed pretty happy. Can all neps live like that, or can some not tolerate it? It seems like an easy fix for bringing up humidity around the plant and not having to worry about watering too often. Does the water soak up to the top of the pot?

What are the drawbacks to growing them in a tray of water? One of the neps I picked up from the nursery today was sitting in 1/2" of standing water and seemed pretty happy. Can all neps live like that, or can some not tolerate it? It seems like an easy fix for bringing up humidity around the plant and not having to worry about watering too often. Does the water soak up to the top of the pot?

Some plants were hating it, others loved it. It's actually more humid now, than when I had standing water. Was more of me wanting it to look more alive in here than anything.
And with the all day mist running in the fan air, no need to water anything. Plenty of moisture in the tray media and air for it to stay happy. Plants already seem happier..

Back