What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mass's GH

thanks for your answer Mass,i have done some more reading about tuberous dews and does the short recommended light period not pose a problem to you when growing it alongside other plants ,i read they only need 8 to 10 hours light,and i thought you might have problems as the temp was recommended to be low in the growing season,i would rather listen to your experence than reading loads of care guides,have you managed to change their dormancy cycles before because the ones i can get here are still on ozzy time too

Didn't even know they needed a short light period.
During fall time (for the US) I move the tuberous pots into the GH. They get cooler temps, longer days, and moisture. They wake up, grow as long as they please, then die back into dormancy when they feel like it.
As for imported Aussie pots.. They're waking up when everything else is going dormant. So.. once they go dormant, they just get woken back up with the others in the fall. Which means they'll get a shorter dormancy, but it makes it so they're on the same schedule as my others.

thanks alot for the reply,the short days were going to prove annoying but as yours do fine without there is no problem

yeah.. they get like 15 hour days during their growing season in my GH.

Finally figured out what Butch was talking about all this time. Evaporative.. cooling..
Dropped my lights down an entire foot. I figured the temps would become a problem, but the results were quite the opposite.
Temps have actually come down, humidtiy is up, and the light is bright.

Here you can see the neps in the corner. 8 T5HO's not far above..
There are two fans behind 2 humidifiers. Both blowing into that corner, across the lights, but not on them.
The large AC unit is only set to "fan" on the highest level during the daytime. At night I switch it to "cool" on the lowest strength level. Temps at night dip into the 50*s with 85% to 90% humidity. And as of now the daytime temps are.. well.. see for yourself.

IMG_1923.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

And a few capes from root cuttings.
First up is a new clone of Bain's Kloof (from root cuttings) donated by a generous someone.

IMG_1929.jpg

These are Bain's Rocket (from root cuttings) donated by the same person.

IMG_1930.jpg

And can't forget my 2nd generation cape giants from root cuttings.

IMG_1931.jpg

So just the air movement cools it down? What are your room temps?

Very Nice!!! lookin good :)

yea.

Very nice. So how far are the plants from the light now?

Very nice. So how far are the plants from the light now?

Less than 2ft.
If I start noticing leaf burn, I'll slide a piece of plexi-glass under the lights for diffusion.

Cool, let me know how it works out for you and I may consider lowering my lights, too.

Hmm.. lights have been off for only 45 minutes. Temps are already in the 50*s, which is amazing considering it usually takes a few hours to get them that low.
What struck me as odd was the humidity is dropping. Normally it goes up after the lights go out. Guess this is due to a lack of evaporation (from the humidifiers + lights) at night? ???

~ Yet another 45 min. later..
Temps have leveled off to 58*F. Humidity has come back up to 82%.. Not sure what caused the sudden dip, but everything is back to normal.
I'll take some pics of the neps in a couple weeks. I'm sure I'll have something to share by then.

Last edited:
Looks as though your plants like it in there as much as you do. Great setup.

Looks as though your plants like it in there as much as you do. Great setup.

Hey thanks!
It's starting to work properly.. finally. As long as the plants continue to cooperate we'll be all set.

p.S. Hope these posts help answer at least half of your questions Luca. Let me know if you have any more.

ah... ok, thanks for the info.

Some pics to curb my boredom..

The plants..

IMG_1982.jpg

veitchii x lowii still coloring up. Little macrophylla just to the left of it.

IMG_1995.jpg

"Song of Melancholy" making this a constant thing now.

IMG_1993.jpg

I've got a bunch of these ceph divisions starting to come to life. This is one of the Robust clones.

IMG_1989.jpg

These 3 are still happy together.. Stylidium debile, U. nelumbifolia, and U. reniformis 'Big Sister'

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

droso growing fast

IMG_1983.jpg

tenuis cutting

IMG_1979.jpg

vogelii

IMG_1978.jpg

new chubs from veitchii K

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1969.jpg

up and coming from seed grown veitchii HL from EP

IMG_1967.jpg

in love with this D. capensis 'Bain's Rocket'

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg

in comparison to Bain's Kloof

IMG_1963.jpg

madagascariensis putting up new growth

IMG_1959.jpg

D. 'Pretty Rosette'

IMG_1943.jpg

D. slackii from root cuttings

IMG_1944.jpg

one of many D. adelae clumps from leaf cuttings

IMG_1945.jpg

D. adelae coming up from root cuttings

IMG_1957.jpg

anybody recognize this ping?

IMG_1954.jpg

what about this one?

IMG_1956.jpg

think this one is Titan

IMG_1953.jpg

once again because I like this pic.. truncata x ovata

IMG_1938.jpg

Fabulous! Don't you love the look of new growth on madagascarensis? So green!

I actually like it when it turns red better. Means it's getting enough light.

Back