What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mass's GH

gorgeous Brok. Crazy to see how much difference there is in our plants, considering they're from the same mother. I chalk it up to natural light vs. artificial.

Another big steaming dump of pics.. Or pic dump if you will.

FINALLY!! Seeing some color in my SG (x Tiveyi x veitchii HL) x (northiana x veitchii HL)

IMG_2786.jpg

still no color from my straight N. northiana though..

IMG_2785.jpg

plants getting settled into bog #1

IMG_2782.jpg

Getting bog #2 started today..

IMG_2780.jpg

foggy villosa

IMG_2775.jpg

N. hamata finally starting to resemble a hamata.

IMG_2771.jpg

smaller than the norm, but still a looker. N. veitchii K

IMG_2770.jpg

this made my day.. C. 'Big Boy's first sub-adult. Which is a good sign after all the close calls and power outtages and what not.

IMG_2769.jpg

can't get enough of the graomo's

IMG_2777.jpg

cleaned up a few plants and laid down some fresh LFS. BE N. macrophylla looks like a funny nep tree.

IMG_2760.jpg

Kind of an older pic, but new cephs the day of arrival

IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg

Awesome update, dude. Your villosa seems to be growing a bit quicker than mine. I don't think it dug the one or two warm nights we had here in the last month. Oh well.. still grows.

What is the other plant in the same pot as the gargantuan macrophylla?

Bog number two? Looks like you've been getting some exercise in the last few days. I'm sure bogs are as addictive as tattoos, so I bet that yard will be covered in due time.

Keep on truckin'...

Totally envious of your villosa. Looking great, T!

That Tiveyi x veitchii HL) x (northiana x veitchii HL) is going to be a beast. It has sooo much potential. And great cephs too ;)

Your cephs are getting much bigger :)

nice photos mass!

Thanks everyone.

That (xTiveyi x veitchii HL) x (northiana x veitchii HL) is going to be a beast. It has sooo much potential. ;)

You can say that again TOG. Can't wait for that thing to put out some bigger pitchers!

Awesome update, dude. Your villosa seems to be growing a bit quicker than mine. I don't think it dug the one or two warm nights we had here in the last month. Oh well.. still grows.

What is the other plant in the same pot as the gargantuan macrophylla?

Bog number two? Looks like you've been getting some exercise in the last few days. I'm sure bogs are as addictive as tattoos, so I bet that yard will be covered in due time.

Keep on truckin'...

Everyone seems to be loving the cube. Same conditions every single day and night.
Daytime: 80*F max 90% humidity
Nighttime: 55*F max 95% humidity

The other plant in the pot is my x TM clone 1. Pretty slow grower for me..
And yeah, the bog scene is definitely addictive. Only downfall is $13/bale of peat is adding up quick.

Told ya those bogs are addicting, haha. A budding bog master. Can't wait to see them in full growth next year. So jealous of your cephs and neps, great pics.

Ha, ha! Gonna be callin you Bog Master T from now on!

well now.. let's save the master stuff until we know these bogs can survive a full Michigan winter. :blush:
Otherwise I'll only be a Master of Murder.

Lookin' good, as usual. Glad the cephs have a good home ;) The dew is nice

Are you keeping the cephs in those white pots still? I realized they would do better in deeper pots in the long term, but didn't have the room and figured they would be fine in those until they got a little bigger. I'm sure you can put off repotting them for several months to a year at least.

the bog looks good, i told you it was a piece of cake to throw together. mulch it with some pine needles and winter should be no problem. i didnt get mine mulched before i had to leave so i'm hoping for a really snowy winter.

Congrats on the first bog. I like the layout of the second one. :)

'Good to see that the big D. graomogolensis is coming back so well. I like it when they're in that green going to red stage.

Congrats on the first bog. I like the layout of the second one. :)

'Good to see that the big D. graomogolensis is coming back so well. I like it when they're in that green going to red stage.

hey thanks.
Couldn't believe how bad it looked after the power outage. Wanted to cry..

Lookin' good, as usual. Glad the cephs have a good home ;) The dew is nice

Are you keeping the cephs in those white pots still?

Already in a nice tall pot with my special ceph media mix.
Way ahead of you buddy. :bigthumpup:

the bog looks good, i told you it was a piece of cake to throw together. mulch it with some pine needles and winter should be no problem. i didnt get mine mulched before i had to leave so i'm hoping for a really snowy winter.

I appreciate the PM full of notes brotha. Was just the motivation I needed to make this happen. I've got the bog fever!

Already in a nice tall pot with my special ceph media mix.
Way ahead of you buddy. :bigthumpup:

Just curious now that you've mentioned it: What's your special ceph mix? I've been pretty liberal with what I'll use, from a 60:40 sand to peat mix, to adding some perlite to that mix, or 60:40 perlite to LFS ratio (numbers rough, I rarely actually measure) and they all seem to work fine.

seeing that LFS in there made me nervous. But trying to remove it made me even more nervous.
My mix is 3:2:2:2:1
orchid bark, charcoal, peat, silica, and perlite.
Super chunky, fast draining, and easy to dry.

When I bought the original ceph it was very healthy and had been growing in a LFS and perlite mix. I think we give these plants too little credit for their addaptability to different soils and conditions sometimes. I think most importantly they shouldn't be waterlogged, and should have fast draining soil, as you said. Not using the tray method for my cephs helps to regulate the soil moisture, of course. But I guess it always comes down to different approaches working for different people.

BTW, my regia roots are starting to pruduce a few buds, and should have some leaves up really soon :) I put them on top of the live sphagnum as you suggested.

What's wrong with some LFS in the mix for cephs, in your view?

In my view..?
no no, more like in my experience.

First, I'll start by saying that I know numerous people that are successfully growing gorgeous cephs in fluffy beds of live LFS.
As for myself, I've used live LFS with all of my prized (late) cephs until just recently. I'll post a few of my favorite pics in their memory.
Terrible experiences. The LFS, for me, retained way too much moisture. After growing well for some time, boom.. rot set in and the plants died to death. Which is bad..

After being schooled by one of the best ceph growers in the country, I've learned where my mistakes were and am seeing great results in the meantime. If I over water, which tends to happen, my media allows for fast acting dry outs. To ensure I don't need to even worry about consistent watering methods, I'm using the tall clear homemade pots.
They give plenty of room for root growth, and I've found they retain just the right amount of moisture for the right amount of time. So far so good.. :bigthumpup:
Thanks again Jerry ol' buddy ol' pal. You're the man.

Point being, what works for some doesn't always work for all. Just gotta find out the hard way I guess.
I just learned a tough lesson with tuberous dews. But that's a whole nother conversation for a different day.

Rest in Peace.. :cry:
"Vigorous Clumping"
IMG_7151.jpg

"Vigorous Clumping" clone

IMG_7412.jpg

"Purple Pudding"
IMG_9263.jpg

"Purple Pudding" clone

IMG_7396.jpg

'Czech Giant'
IMG_9260.jpg

"Purple Pudding" & 'Czech Giant' mother plants 9 photo stack
IMG_91stack.jpg

You have good hand to plants. Touching story :)

Great pictures!

Good to learn from others' experience. Sorry you lost so many beautiful plants! That's horrible!

My main ceph is not planted in a LFS mix (it's in peat, coarse sand, and perlite mix, roughly 1:1:1 ratio), but I think one of my remaining cuttings is in a LFS mix. For curiosity's sake I think I'll keep it as an expiriment plant and see how it does in LFS and perlite under my conditions.

... and I meant "in your experience" :eek: He he

Back