What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Troubleshooting Ultrasonic Fogger

Good morning everyone!

Well, not so good for me. Last night when my fogbox was suppose to turn on, the fan clicked on right on time, but the ultrasonic fogger didn't. The water level was fine, but even the little red indicator light wasn't even on! This morning I replaced the little ceramic disk, but no luck.

Does anyone have any tips for troubleshooting these little ultrasonic foggers? (the Little-Giant brand) I've had it only for about a year, and it is only on for an hour a day in half-hour intervals. If the life span of these guys is only about a year, I can't say its worth the fifty bucks or whatever to go out and get a new one, and I might have to look into getting something slightly more reliable.

Thanks for your help,
CJ

Maybe perhaps short circuited somewhere on the board? I can't really provide much help but this got me thinking that I probably should have bought that $27 open box Vick ultrasonic humidifier for redundancy....hmm

sounds like your transformer went out...

Could be it overheated and a thermal fuse blew. It might be resettable or replaceable without soldering. But you should determine why it overheated in the first place. If there's no reset button on the case you'll have to open it up and look at the power circuit board.

Could be it overheated and a thermal fuse blew. It might be resettable or replaceable without soldering. But you should determine why it overheated in the first place. If there's no reset button on the case you'll have to open it up and look at the power circuit board.

I was afraid someone would say something like that... The screws holding the transformer together have triangle shaped heads, so, I wont be getting it open any time soon unless I can think of something clever. I may buy a full ultrasonic humidifier unit (which I saw for sale for like, forty bucks) and keep this one around until there comes a day when I can open it up and fix it- maybe.

Thank you for your quick responses everyone!

-CJ

Hey, I hate to bring up such an old thread of mine, but...

Does anyone know how to open the transformer of one of these things? I took all the screws out of the bottom (no easy task!!) and I can't seem to actually pry it open... I will post pictures if it would be helpful.

My reasoning for doing this is that I'd like to make sure this one is beyond my repair before I buy a new one.

Thank you very much for your advice!
CJ

Back