What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TheFury

Oh, the humanity!!
Folks - great to be back! I've been on a bit of a hiatus since November. Between then and now I went on a three-week trip - a week of vacation to Italy and two weeks of work in Ireland. But I'm back in full force.

While I was gone, I had a friend come by and refill my trays once. I also had my Neps and a few other plants hooked up to an auto drip system. For the most part, I'm happy with the outcome... although I did lose some plants that I was very sad to see go.

First, the bad news. There was an unexplained hiccup in the line of my auto-drip system which apparently stopped water from flowing into a few of my pots.

6533249455_963523745e_b.jpg

My N. ventricosa 'Red' is kaput. Not a huge deal considering how common the plant is, but upsetting nonetheless as it was one of my very first CPs!

6533270651_5da35ee955_b.jpg

My N. mirabilis, previously my largest and most vigorous Nep, is also gone. Really bummed to see this guy go, especially for a reason so silly as an air bubble in the water line keeping this ONE particular nozzle from functioning while the others worked perfectly :censor:.

Now for the bad but not tragic news.

6533266419_b206589964_b.jpg

Rather than leaving my Ceph in a tray of standing water, I thought it best to put it on my auto-drip system. It was the surest bet to keep it alive. It definitely got pissed off with the constant flow of water over it (as evidenced by the pitcher die-off), but there's another growth point in there with plenty of greenery on it. A near miss!

6533254899_7e6dda8218_b.jpg

N. ventricosa x spectabilis 'Giant' lost a few pitchers, but it's still trucking'

6533291467_54dcaa0027_b.jpg

N. lowii x campanulata... a VERY near miss on this one, but after watering it, two leaves perked right up and started pumping out new pitchers in just one day!

And now for the nice surprises!! :banana2:

6533293623_e118efa83a_b.jpg

These P. 'Sethos' are ridiculous. They were single plants that I divided and repotted just two months ago. Came back from my trip, and they had created their own new divisions and started flowering!

6533287473_95fd0a679c_b.jpg

Bag o' D. capensis 'Red' coming along very nicely.

6533273913_828dfabae1_b.jpg

D. multifada cuttings also coming along nicely. Good thing, too, because I lost the parent plant!!!

6533265153_4602147550_b.jpg

N. maxima poi dog cutting seems to have taken root and is now growing. W00t!

6533251931_33d708cc7e_b.jpg

Can't figure out why some are growing so much faster than the others. Anyway, all these S. oreo seedlings will become fodder for a nice big giveaway once they're old enough to ship and/or mature enough that they'll begin to require dormancy that I can't provide with my current setup. Maybe this summer it'll happen. Mark your calendars!

6533259451_62a22cc720_b.jpg

What do you think... does this look like a Nep seedling? Never seen one before, but I sowed these seeds about six weeks ago now. Cast your votes!

6533282977_f8c93c277c_b.jpg

The best news yet - I was very worried about leaving this guy alone. I put it on the drip system under a CFL. When I left it was an unrooted H. heterodoxa x minor cutting with all mature pitchers on the fritz. But when I got back, it was a rooted H. heterodoxa x minor cutting pumping out three new pitchers!!

And last but not least... some new family members!!!!!!!

6533297175_d13a581d31_b.jpg

BE N. (veitchii x lowii) x spectabilis

6533275699_132be0a5c1_b.jpg

BE N. ampullaria 'Brunei Green'

6533257085_7f0f059d4a_b.jpg

BE N. ventricosa x aristolochioides

6533284777_d8b6756f88_b.jpg

BE N. rafflesiana 'Brunei Giant Clone 99'

Thanks for watching! :cool:

Last edited:
Yay! Yeah last time I had to leave for 3 weeks I had a horrible loss (inermis :cry:) or two, but otherwise things sorta worked out OK.

You specialize in LLs? I love ampullarias!

Not bad at all! How long did you have the drip system up and running before heading out? I like to have new systems (that are critical like that) up and running for at least a month before bolting to make sure things have at least a decent chance of pulling through for me, lol.

I've never tried Nep seeds either, but that looks more like a liverwort than a seedling to me. To me and my untrained, newb eyes anyway. XD

Welcome back!

Oooof. Losing the inermis must have been painful.

LOL, the term "specialize" implies too much skill on the part of the grower :-)) ... ha, no, although I do try to stick to LLs because I can only provide conditions for lowlanders/intermediates, and a few bomb-proof highlanders like ventricosa. Plus, I think they make prettier pitchers than most HLs, with a few obvious (and expensive) exceptions! But yes, very stoked to have a N. ampullaria in my collection now. I've always had eyes for that species.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

@Kyle - I had it up and running for about a month before I headed out. But I added more nozzles along the line two days before I left, which I believe was the culprit. Lesson learned!

Liverwort? D'OH! I think I'm just not giving the seeds enough heat. I have a TON of Nep seeds that have all been sitting there for between 6-8 weeks. No dice. Temps are probably around 70-75 most of the day with current weather conditions.

Welcome back!

Sorry to hear about the losses, but overall it looks like everything did pretty well.

Ah your growlist isnt too updated so I didnt know what neps you grow.. you know, platychila and vogelli like it intermediate :p they are just simply gorgeous if you're looking for additions. I want everyone to grow more neps so I can see more pics :mwahaha:

Oh yeah, my grow list. HAHA, I just removed it from my signature. I haven't touched it in a year! Thanks for the reminder, lol. Yeah - I was actually really torn between the N. (veitchii x lowii) x spectabilis (which I got) and a N. platychila x veitchii. You can probably tell by now that I'm really into veitchii hybrids at the moment. But good call - I'll bump those two species to the top of my want list!

Sorry for the losses, but everything else looks great! The "nepenthes seedling" doesnt look like a seedling at all; more of a mutated fungi thingy. Ive had em pop up every once and a while in peat. Still, the seeds look fresh, so no hope lossed yet!

That's always the hard part of leaving for any extended period of time... especially if the person you have to leave them with isn't a "plant" person. Suppose it could have been worse!

d'aww. That hurt to look at. Sorry man..

hey i have some of your losses and may be able to hook you up pm sent.

I appreciate the condolences, all! I'm about to leave AGAIN - this time only for 4 nights, so I'm not concerned in the least.

@Rball - got your PM and responded! Thanks, and sorry for the delayed reply!!

Yikes...just left for about three weeks for break and hoping I don't run into some bad luck myself. The nice thing is everything I grow is in standing water but I'm worried that it's all going to evap...

And now it's my turn to leave my automated lights on/off Lowland tanks (petiolaris dews, Neps clippy and raffles and a couple others) alone for 2 weeks, and everything to its lonesome in the dark inside at a constant 65, unwatered, for a week and a half. :ohno: wish me luck!

Bummer about the losses, but definitely some nice surprises like you said. (That ping is gorgeous, btw.)

balls-icon.png

Back