What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pineapple's Greenhouse

ventricosa x maxima perhaps?

Here's what it is supposed to be...
images

Here's what it is...
aytx81.jpg

Here's a ventricosa x talangensis that's similar...
images

Here's a ventricosa x maxima that's similar...
images

So we'll have to see when it opens... I have a hunch it's ventricosa x talangensis because of the store I bought it from's good reputation. Maybe it's SG, that would explain the difference in specimens between the picture and mine.

All of the current lot of plants of that cross are seed grown, so you will see variation in the individuals. Some will be great and some will be rather bland. Unfortunately, my plant, one of the first Nepenthes I bought a year ago, has turned out to be quite bland in appearance. Yours looks quite nice, really.

All of the current lot of plants of that cross are seed grown, so you will see variation in the individuals. Some will be great and some will be rather bland. Unfortunately, my plant, one of the first Nepenthes I bought a year ago, has turned out to be quite bland in appearance. Yours looks quite nice, really.

Hm... Then I guess it would be helpful to the cross to eventually make cuttings? Hopefully the main vine will flower soon so I can chop it up. And thanks! Although I do see nicer ones on Google Images, lol. :-D

When the FedEx dude pulled up, I was like, "Yes! My sugar cane has come!" Then they pulled out a 3' square box and like a 6" box along with it. So my sugar cane did come with the swamp cooler!... But it wasn't the sugar cane... The heater is just... Tiny...

My hand pressed up against it...
33w8ump.jpg

This thing blows pretty hard and heats quickly! Should be great at keeping the greenhouse at 50F on cold winter nights, as long as it doesn't ignite first... (And that's my seed germinator in the background... It must be broken...)
o0zepu.jpg

And the big box? The swamp cooler that I thought would be smaller, but will take up 50% of the back shelf of the greenhouse. I'll have to remove on of the top side shelves to be able to grow my taller plants...
23gzlfr.jpg

good luck with your greenhouse...

hopefully they will shield your plants from extreme hot/cold temps. :)

good luck with your greenhouse...

hopefully they will shield your plants from extreme hot/cold temps. :)

Thanks! :)

Looks like the heater should... I'm guessing the swamp cooler will since it's so big and it has like a 10 gallon reservoir and a place to add ice. It better work lol.

Looks like the heater should... I'm guessing the swamp cooler will since it's so big and it has like a 10 gallon reservoir and a place to add ice. It better work lol.

If it does work, you are able to have a greenhouse without paying the outrageous prices that most people pay :-O

Just cleared off that back shelf, which is where I will be putting the heater/cooler, as it is closest to the source of power. I think I'm gonna boar a hole through the wooden base of the greenhouse and run the cables through that and up onto the shelf. I took the top shelf off of one of the other shelving structures and put all the plants on that so they would have room to grow up.

The coffee plants look good today, despite hard water marks on the leaves, but the passiflora is all wilty-wilty... Not sure why. I gave it a good heap of water, hopefully it will perk up by the morning.

EDIT: The sugar cane was shipped and should be here around the 10th. The 10 Amorphophallus konjacs were shipped and will be here around the 10th as well. I believe I was scammed on the bananas, two weeks ago they said they were going to tell the shipping manager to pull two nice ones from the shelf, but they won't reply to any emails after that and it says on eBay the item was removed, so notify eBay if I don't receive the item. I'll notify them on Monday.

If it does work, you are able to have a greenhouse without paying the outrageous prices that most people pay :-O

Meh, it will have to do for now. Should be able to lower and raise the temperature to some extent, enough to keep the plants happy at least.

Last edited:
Just bought two Dwarf Cavendish bananas, two Gran Nain bananas, two Kona Sugarloaf pineapples and a ginger plant on eBay. :-D

Just bought two Dwarf Cavendish bananas, two Gran Nain bananas, two Kona Sugarloaf pineapples and a ginger plant on eBay. :-D

.....and you're going to put all these monster plants inside that wee greenhouse???

By the way, this is my N. ventricosa x talangensis, undoubtedly from the same seed lot yours came from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97352228@N00/7051531989/ Older pitcher on the left, brand new one on the right. They start out a uniform pinkish color and then age to a green-beige with a medium red peristome.

.....and you're going to put all these monster plants inside that wee greenhouse???

By the way, this is my N. ventricosa x talangensis, undoubtedly from the same seed lot yours came from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/97352228@N00/7051531989/ Older pitcher on the left, brand new one on the right. They start out a uniform pinkish color and then age to a green-beige with a medium red peristome.

I'm going to start them in the greenhouse and move them outside. I'm in USDA climate zone 9b... The two kinds of banana trees I bought are for zones 8-10. When it does get down to 25F-30F here, it's only for a day at a time.

OMG! :-O Definitely looks like mine! Thanks for sharing that, now I have an idea of what I can look forward too! BTW, the lid just popped open a tiny bit on that upper pitcher. Should be able to see the peristome in a few days. :boogie:

After basically rewiring all of my outside lights, I was able to tap into that line and run a cord off into the greenhouse under a panel... So now I have to connect that cord to an extension cord which will connect to a surge protector plugin strip and then I can plug my crap in! :boogie:

wonderful and best of luck. Nicely worded too... have fun "plugging your crap in" ;)

wonderful and best of luck. Nicely worded too... have fun "plugging your crap in" ;)

Haha, thanks! :-D

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

All hooked up! They're working too. :)

vsm16x.jpg

I can feel the breeze from the swamp cooler extremely strongly at the door, so I'll need to patch up the holes so that I can keep the cool air in. The air directing thingy rotates so all sides of the greenhouse are hit with cold, humid air. The heater isn't as powerful and will take longer to get the whole greenhouse warm, but it should do its job. The only problem is, the ice-adding area on the swamp cooler is on the back, so I can't access it without turning the unit around. I'm going to have to put crushed ice in the water I pour through the hole in the top now.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

And it opened...

6gj3gl.jpg

:clap:you have ended up with a great looking set up,well done pineapple

:clap:you have ended up with a great looking set up,well done pineapple

Yo Piney,
I have an established cutting of N. Ventrata you can have to add to your collection, if you like. It is forming two pitchers now, so it's rarin' to go. Free, no strings attached :)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97352228@N00/6908799750/

Thanks, but I'm good for now. I have a ventrata already, though that one does look pretty nice! I'll let you know if things change, but thanks for such a generous offer!

Everything looks great. Keep 'dem pics comin'!

The sugar cane arrived and so did the shade cloth! :boogie:

Sugar cane planted about 4" deep in pots of 1/1 sand/potting soil plus a lot of fish gravel...
2i1ee5y.jpg

Thought this was interesting... The first N. ventricosa x talangensis upper pitcher drooling like crazy!
uowhy.jpg

I also planted thirteen (I believe) Amorphophallus konjacs. Two on either side of the greenhouse, three in each of two tubs and two in another tub... Or maybe there were only 12. Who knows. They all had pink buds on them, a few already growing roots around the buds. So they were ready for potting. Still haven't potted the A. paeoniifolius because it hasn't budded yet.

Everything looks great. Keep 'dem pics comin'!

Last edited:
Back