What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pineapple's Greenhouse

I want that truncata even more now!! Nice update, but why were you wacking that plant with a pvc in the end? lol

That wasn't me. Believe it or not, it was a $130 light saber from Amazon. You just couldn't see it light up in the bright sun. Works better in the dark lol.

It's yours for any Nepenthes of yours that I don't have. ;)

Coffeed 7/12/12

WTF with the light sabre!!! :-))

who was that?

Are you on nano-reef?

Pine is a reefer?

thats cool! :-O

didnt know you had a reef, pine, you should make a thread for it, with pics of your corals and stuff!

by brother has a reef, and i think its soo cool! kenya tree, brittle star, pompom crab, cool stuff like that. i want a reef, but im too afraid id kill it! :-(

I had three. Got rid of them all to do this!!! :mwahaha:

awww...

i wanted to see some corals:-(

oh, well, getting rid of the tanks was certantly worth it though, you have quite a nice little collection of nepenthes there! :-O

Nice collection!?
It's awesome!

Last edited:
I don't know what you're talking about. :crazy: :)

So I took the sphagnum off the top of five of my 4" pots. It was growing over the sides really thick, so I had about six square inches about two inches high in each pot, and 4-5" high in another pot. What you see is just two of the pots after I thinned out the sphagnum. You see about 1/3 of what it originally had.

33e2a2e.jpg

I took all of them live stuff and completely dressed the pot of my N. ventrata. The pot is round, maybe 14" in diameter. The plant is 2ft tall and super, super bushy. For some reason, the darn leaves won't die even though they have no pitchers. I've only cut maybe five or six leaves in the six months I've had it. Here's the part with a little exposed sphagnum meadow...

2zi7ng7.jpg

I thinned out the sphagnum by taking it off of the pot, pulling all of the half-living stuff out from the bottom of the bunch, then loosening the bunch to make it less compact, then I would dress the pot with about 1/3 of what I had. With the half-living stuff, I'm starting a new project. Maybe by the end of the year, I'll have something to post pictures of. I'll do some more thinning and tidying up tomorrow.

I thinned it out because it kept drying out day after day. The live stuff just wasn't close enough to the medium. The medium was moist, not wet like I thought it was. ???

Humidity issues are likely if its drying out too fast. Misting a few times a day can help the sphagnum stay moist. Soaks up the water quite readily. Good contact with the media will also help draw up some moisture. Push down with tweezers on a few strands to embed it a bit. As sphag grows, it should eventually be able to deal with it better, but upping the humidity is likely helpful. Admittedly I just use it as a gauge for when I need to water my plants. When it starts to dry, I water. Usually 3-5 days give or take.

Not sure if I mentioned this in here, but I ordered a Judith Finn on eBay. It was $7.50 plus $9.00 shipping. From the picture it looked like it was a lot bigger, but even though it is smaller than I expected, it is still over a foot across and maybe 8" tall. It did arrive in rough condition. The shipping box was hot, the plant was scrunched up a bit, leaves had big gashes in them, ect. Nothing that can't be fixed with TLC though... and tape. :-D

2j0dr44.jpg

Unlike most people, I like Judith Finn. The green pitchers will be something different for my collection. I also like the thick, flared red-purple peristome. This guy did come in with one pitcher, but it was so tiny and pathetic and it was dried up completely, so I just cut it off. It was brown, so you wouldn't be able to see what the next pitchers would look like. One of the growth tips is damaged, but it looks like it will still open, however its shooting out another tip (or so it looks like) from the damaged growth tip's base. The other two growth tips look great. :)

Humidity issues are likely if its drying out too fast. Misting a few times a day can help the sphagnum stay moist. Soaks up the water quite readily. Good contact with the media will also help draw up some moisture. Push down with tweezers on a few strands to embed it a bit. As sphag grows, it should eventually be able to deal with it better, but upping the humidity is likely helpful. Admittedly I just use it as a gauge for when I need to water my plants. When it starts to dry, I water. Usually 3-5 days give or take.

Its only in about five pots. After I did what I did, the pots with issues no longer had issues. I went two days without misting and they were still moist.

Not sure if I mentioned this in here, but I ordered a Judith Finn on eBay. It was $7.50 plus $9.00 shipping. From the picture it looked like it was a lot bigger, but even though it is smaller than I expected, it is still over a foot across and maybe 8" tall. It did arrive in rough condition. The shipping box was hot, the plant was scrunched up a bit, leaves had big gashes in them, ect.

Thats eBay for ya. I won't purchase live plants off eBay anymore; too great a risk of receiving someone's trash plants.

Nice plant you got there. Hope it recovers. Now make it pitcher!! :D

The motor in the swamp cooler seized up today. The sides were taken off and we played with the motor a bit to loosen it up, then it worked for about 30 seconds and jammed again. It was then unplugged and I'm going to get my money back for it since its still under the warranty. Now I have to find a new swamp cooler. The greenhouse can't be used for now, so I need to unplug everything. I moved all of the plants except for the ventrata and this new one into the original terrarium I had them in and I'm going to set up a second one so that one won't be overcrowded.

:rant::cry::cuss::mad::headwall:

Whee did you get the cooler? I want one.

Depending on who you get it from, plants on ebay can be great plants (though I, too, have suffered that fate).
Great setup pineapple, hope I cna have a greenhouse like that one day.

All plants are spread between two terrariums. :)

Back