What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pineapple's Greenhouse

i love your plants and want the greenhouse :D i thought i had subbed here after lurking but I guess not!

absolutely love the photos. cute lil froggy hehe

i love your plants and want the greenhouse :D i thought i had subbed here after lurking but I guess not!

absolutely love the photos. cute lil froggy hehe

Haha, thanks! The greenhouse actually works better than I thought it would after all the mods. I encourage you to try one, but seeing you're in Massachusetts, you might want to go with something that has thicker walls and will hold in the heat for those winter months.

I haven't seen the frog anywhere since I released him... Not in the sphagnum cultures, not in the sphagnum around the neps, not in the nep pitchers (thank god), not in my seed germinating tank, nowhere. Maybe he hopped out, but I think with the super high humidity and very stable, tropical temperatures that he would have wanted to stay. But who knows, he may still be in there. :)

i cant afford a heating system for a greenhouse up here but one day when i can.... it'll be a go! either that or i'll move south :p

I've been writing plant names incorrectly... Well, maybe like 75% correct. I'm like a grammar nazi so that kind of stuff bothers me, but I'm too lazy to go back and change it all... So... ???

N. 'Ventrata' beginning its long journey to climb over the door of the greenhouse...
avo3yb.jpg

New N. aristolochioides pitcher inflating fuzzily right after that next leaf finished opening up...
27wt0lx.jpg

One of my favorites... N. boschiana x mira almost done inflating before opening!
sgtz4l.jpg

My $4 orchid...
331m22p.jpg

All three sugar cane cuttings took root, but only two have sprouted... Well, one cheated and regenerated from a dead shoot and is growing on point which is disappointing, but the other that did a good job is shooting up like four little things... The other guy is just a poop. Gonna go dig it up and see right now.
10o0bnk.jpg

Last but not least, I went to check my Spanish moss tilly which I thought was dead, and I found flowers on it! Well on one of them at least, the other is like ugly...
2i1csgg.jpg

nicest 4 dollar orchid I've seen inna while! what a deal :)

Nearly 93F outside. 88F inside the greenhouse. :banana2:

great video bro :) i love your aristo.... you sure did luck out getting such a good sized plant e few minutesa fter they put it out!

I love your video! I loved it when you zoomed on a nepenthes and you said " that one is like stupid" i couldn't' stop laughing! LOL, great GH and plants as always :)

I love your video! I loved it when you zoomed on a nepenthes and you said " that one is like stupid" i couldn't' stop laughing! LOL, great GH and plants as always :)

Haha, thanks! Good to hear I made someone laugh in a good way. :-D

I've been writing plant names incorrectly... Well, maybe like 75% correct. I'm like a grammar nazi so that kind of stuff bothers me, but I'm too lazy to go back and change it all... So... ???

N. 'Ventrata' beginning its long journey to climb over the door of the greenhouse...

Well.... if you want to be technical. N. ventrata is not a registered cultivar so there are no ' ' or capitals. Simply N. ventrata

Well.... if you want to be technical. N. ventrata is not a registered cultivar so there are no ' ' or capitals. Simply N. ventrata

So just to be clear, no capitalization or italics? I want to write it correctly. :blush:

So I walk into the greenhouse interested in my sphagnum. I noticed that there were a few strands growing very far up the side of the culture, and I thought to myself that it would be pointless to just keep the culture and never harvest a ton from it since its fully grown to its container. I pull out a bunch of strands and get ready to pick one of the containers up when I see something jump in the container over!

I ran in the house to get the camera. Before he got accidentally squished with the lens (and yes, it ruined the camera)...

14vu1pk.jpg

Here's where my closeup started going too far...

6rlhxc.jpg

I was surprised he was still in there! Just kidding about the squishing part. The camera is okay, thank god!... And the frog is fine too. Makes me worry about when he's big... I don't want to have frogs screaming in my greenhouse. These guys are as loud as ten cows, seriously. It's the only frog I have ever heard around here. I don't want him to end up in a pitcher either, or attract snakes in or whatever. Maybe I should just take him out now? He must be finding a ton of bugs in there. Each pitcher on some of my plants has 100+ ants in it. I found a massive, white spider in one of my ventrata pitchers I was about to cut off, then decided to let it stay.

That is a seriously tiny wee little froggie!

That is a seriously tiny wee little froggie!

Yeah, just a week or two out of the water. Still very small though. It takes maybe a month or more before they start putting on weight, and that's only if you heavily feed them, which I can't control for this dude. I wonder how long he's been in the sphagnum cultures... Now I'll probably check them out of curiosity every time I walk into the greenhouse lol.

Id let him stay. . . your Nep nursery regularly posts pictures on facebook of frogs poking their heads out of Nepenthes pitchers, so I don't think it's a problem.

So just to be clear, no capitalization or italics? I want to write it correctly. :blush:

for N. ventrata no although the N should be since it is the genera name which is part of the scientific name. SO that gives you N. ventrata Most people don't bother with italics every time they write the genera name as it gets to be cumbersome. If you want to be 100% accurate though..

The scientific name for species use italics on both the genera and species name. Except for a few natural hybrids that were described as species originally such as N. x trusmadiensis, note the x is not italicized as it was added later when found to be a natural hybrid. AND a handful of old victorian hybrids like N. x dyeriana

Registered cultivar uses capitals and single quotes such as N. 'Scarlet Splash'

Hope I got that all correct...

Joseph had a sticky thread somewhere on nomenclature which probably goes into more depth.

Tony

Plants which are not officially registered like N. predator are sometimes written like that, or as N. Predator, or as N. "Predator" (note I italicized the N. since it is technically correct but you often don't see it done). There are no formal rules so you most likely will see it written various ways by different people. The only rule is to NOT use the official rules described above for species, natural hybrids described as species, victorian hybrids or registered cultivars....

Id let him stay. . . your Nep nursery regularly posts pictures on facebook of frogs poking their heads out of Nepenthes pitchers, so I don't think it's a problem.

Yeah, he's too cute to evict. He's been in the sphagnum since I found him last night. The cultures are on top of a container of wet dead sphag and there's a puddle of water on the lid. He's just like sitting in it lol. He should like it when I water, but I have to be careful and move him when I use coffee. :)

for N. ventrata no although the N should be since it is the genera name which is part of the scientific name. SO that gives you N. ventrata Most people don't bother with italics every time they write the genera name as it gets to be cumbersome. If you want to be 100% accurate though..

The scientific name for species use italics on both the genera and species name. Except for a few natural hybrids that were described as species originally such as N. x trusmadiensis, note the x is not italicized as it was added later when found to be a natural hybrid. AND a handful of old victorian hybrids like N. x dyeriana

Registered cultivar uses capitals and single quotes such as N. 'Scarlet Splash'

Hope I got that all correct...

Joseph had a sticky thread somewhere on nomenclature which probably goes into more depth.

Tony

Plants which are not officially registered like N. predator are sometimes written like that, or as N. Predator, or as N. "Predator" (note I italicized the N. since it is technically correct but you often don't see it done). There are no formal rules so you most likely will see it written various ways by different people. The only rule is to NOT use the official rules described above for species, natural hybrids described as species, victorian hybrids or registered cultivars....

Thanks for clearing that up! Very helpful. Let me know if I trip up, hehe. :)

i found a toad in my bog garden today n it made me think of ur lil froggy :) nice video! he seems quite at home

Back