What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pineapple's Greenhouse

nice basal nub :D hehe

How about aquascaping a pitcher from your lowii x spectabilis for your fish? :lol:

How about aquascaping a pitcher from your lowii x spectabilis for your fish? :lol:

Haha, I think the digestive juices would dissolve them... But I would what would happen if I put a pitcher in the fish tank...? :0o:

it would rot, and crap up the water, thats what would happen.

UPDATE ON SPHAGNUM CULTURES:

Started a 24" x 12" culture. Its filled up with water pretty well so you can't see all the sphagnum that I stuck in there. I put maybe 10-15 strands in there from the sphagnum culture I bought.

ofufc7.jpg

TONS of new little heads coming up on those cultures I started around April I think. The heads that were in there are growing.

One of the tubs just over a month ago...
33xijo6.jpg

The four tubs today...
3f0it.jpg

The main culture has lost more than 75% of his sphagnum between dressing the pots and starting new cultures. Very well spent money though. If I completely deplete it, I think I may buy another. Then I'll buy a ton of clear plastic tubs from the dollar store and make a ton of cultures. :-O

2d11oo6.jpg

Forgot to Menschen... I used spahgnum in that new culture from my tub of wet dead sphag... It was 100% sealed. There were four places where live sphag had popped up and was growing good, might I add, and I added it to the new culture. I put water from my distilled water containers into the container to where the water was right below soil level. I saw these little tiny white dots... I looked closer... SPRINGTAILS! Mah favrit bergs on teh plernut! :-D

Will they cause issues in a sphagnum culture or in Nepenthes pots? These are the SUPER tiny white ones.... :)

Yay! Nice sphagnum cultures. :)

Nice sphagnum! I doubt you'll deplete your sphagnum supply since he stuff will just keep growing and growing. If you want to start up a new culture just trim the sphagnum heads off of a nice tall culture and put them in another holding tub. They will most likely be replaced with off shoots, so it's no worry :).

Luckily I went out to my greenhouse this morning. The fish tank saved the plants! I went in and the fish tank was off. I tried unplugging and plugging in, but it was still off. Checked the swamp cooler timer and it was set back at like 11:00 PM... The power had died in the greenhouse last night! So I flipped switches, plugged and unplugged, ect... Nothing. I had to finally run a huge extension cord from a far outside outlet into the greenhouse through the door. Its like a 100ft cable lol. All is good now, but it will take a few weeks before my dad is able to check the power cables underground and fix it. :(

Nice sphagnum! I doubt you'll deplete your sphagnum supply since he stuff will just keep growing and growing. If you want to start up a new culture just trim the sphagnum heads off of a nice tall culture and put them in another holding tub. They will most likely be replaced with off shoots, so it's no worry :).

Thanks! Will definitely try that in the future. Right now I don't have room for any more cultures lol.

Last edited:
the underground cable is messed up?!? that sucks!

at least nothing is dead... and how exactly did the fish save your plants????

prob cuz he had to go check the fish and noticed because of that before the plants got fried.

with my luck the plants would be dead! So glad you made it through that incident clean :)

Kannenpflanzen aktualisieren:

thanks for sharing! lol where is the stupid nepenthes? lol

bahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice update! I bet it's pretty hot up where you live today... had to activate the doghouse AC unit an hour earlier for the Neps :|. 50 degree night temps? Nice! What are your day temps now with that cooler in there? I'd say the coffee treatment has taken its effect on the rapid fire sphag and the huge Nepenthes leaves from the last update :D.

Nice update! I bet it's pretty hot up where you live today... had to activate the doghouse AC unit an hour earlier for the Neps :|. 50 degree night temps? Nice! What are your day temps now with that cooler in there? I'd say the coffee treatment has taken its effect on the rapid fire sphag and the huge Nepenthes leaves from the last update :D.

Well it was in the 90s today and it stays just two or three degrees cooler in the greenhouse, and that's in 100% sun under the 50% shade cloth. It's in full sun for a few hours each day. I think its around 90F in there. Yesterday I went in and it was 94F, so I threw all of the Nepenthes in a container and carried them inside for a few hours, then put them back out for their night in the 50s with high humidity. Brought them back inside this morning and they're sitting in my floor right next to me lol. By the end of the week I should be able to put them back out for the rest of the summer (hopefully).

When the temperatures are in the 70s and 80s, the day temperatures are around 80-85F when the greenhouse is in full sun. Then it cools off to around 70 until it gets dark, where it drops into the 50s with humidity around 80-90%. :)

If you look at my first Nepenthes update video, you can see like dead sphagnum with a few compact heads. Then look at the video three months later and you can see the same pots covered in thick heads all over. Pretty amazing. I'd say coffee is definitely a factor!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pot with most wild sphag on May 5th (2 months ago): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzGwG6fDbGM&hd=1&t=9s

Pot with most wild sphag on July 10th: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK59EciAMLU&hd=1&t=2m17s

The sphagnum pile in that pot is probably 4" high now. It started at pot level.

I want that truncata even more now!! Nice update, but why were you wacking that plant with a pvc in the end? lol

Back