What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pineapple's Greenhouse

i give up... just quit complaining that its too cool in the greenhouse XD

Theres some pretty cheap Thermostats on ebay under "Greenhouse thermostat" if your interested. . . .

Drosera binata

358wcvd.jpg

2u96emb.jpg

Drosera burmannii

2gw6owg.jpg

Pinguicula 'Wesser' (Got a little banged up, but the growth tip is perfectly fine)

jubz7o.jpg

Last edited:
What do you want for that burmannii?
And invest in a thermostat. Just get a cheap one off ebay.

What do you want for that burmannii?
And invest in a thermostat. Just get a cheap one off ebay.

Nothing lol... I want to make it grow hehe. :mwahaha:

Asid, why not come over and pick one out?That one's been shipped across the ... county.

NEW VIDEO:

Because I know when it is in the sun during the day and when it gets hot... I don't need to drop like $100 + time/effort on a thermostat. :p

What a waste of effort and money to buy HALF the equipment you need, so now you are moaning about the cooler doing what it is meant to do, only it doesn't shut off when not needed, because you won't buy a thermostat! Amazing.

What a waste of effort and money to buy HALF the equipment you need, so now you are moaning about the cooler doing what it is meant to do, only it doesn't shut off when not needed, because you won't buy a thermostat! Amazing.

Hey, I mean, it works for me. Wasn't really complaining about what it was meant to do, just boasting how awesome it was, so thanks for suggesting it. :eek:

If I keep the swamp cooler on non-stop from the time the GH is in sun to the time it is out of sun, then it will keep the humidity up and temperature down during that time. That is the only time the humidity drops to like 40-50%... So it works out just fine for me. :3

Whew! Great thread! Love the pics and set-up, but most of all love the persistance. Having now just read 551 posts, I'm going to dream about neps whilst my brain re-solidifies.:poke:

Hey, I mean, it works for me. Wasn't really complaining about what it was meant to do, just boasting how awesome it was, so thanks for suggesting it. :eek:

If I keep the swamp cooler on non-stop from the time the GH is in sun to the time it is out of sun, then it will keep the humidity up and temperature down during that time. That is the only time the humidity drops to like 40-50%... So it works out just fine for me. :3

If you believe it's "working for you" then that's fine. But from my perspective, you are making this far more difficult than it should be by limiting your resources and doing a number of things in half measures. But if this is how you enjoy the process, then go for it.

First, if you have not confirmed it already... Vent means the pump doesn't run.
Second, My thermostat broke one time on my very first greenhouse cooler, and it was during the cooler season. I had to order a new one but it was on back order. Leaving the cooler on low all day cooled too much just like yours. I was able to partially combat that issue by simply putting the cooler in a condition where it didn't cool as well. I moved it inside the greenhouse. With the higher humidity levels on the intake side of the cooler the temperature drop was less (the output humidity was higher also raising the overall humidity in the greenhouse.) So, one option to make it work a little bit better for the cool season is to move the cooler inside the greenhouse. But honestly, save up for a thermostat. It will save you lots of trouble, your plants would be happier, and save on electricity. ;)
If you want to stay on the cheap cheap and don't care so much about being able to adjust it there is this... http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/i...E3149&s=thermostat&cid1=224&cid2=414&cid3=-99 at least it would keep you out of the 60s. :D Just make sure that the cooler pulls 15 amps, 1800 watts maximum.
Andrew

Thanks for the suggestions guys... I think I may just try out that one that Andy linked to, I think you showed it to me before Andy, but I never got around to getting it. I'll put it on my Christmas list and have somebody order it for me around then. :)

My problems with it are it's not adjustable and it's temp range is too wide for me. I like to dial in a more precises spot. Although, having that as a thermostat backup would probably not be a horrible idea. It's better than always on, or off! I actually fiddle with my temp setting through the year, rather than set the temp and leave it I watch temp gauges around the greenhouses to decide if the thermostat is set to what I want it to be.
Also keep in mind where you aim your cooler- I have highland plants growing in front of it, and lowland near the other side of the g/h where the air doesn't directly blow. So mess around with plant placement too to find their "spot". (suggested/taught to me many moons ago by TonyP ;) )
Andrew

NEW VIDEO:

Last edited:
The video is like on acid!

The video is like on acid!

LOL yes, it was meant to be like that. :p

I was just having fun with editing to a song I love. I was trying to focus on foliage while still showing off pitchers so that I could keep track of plant growth. Maybe for my next update I'll film each one of them with 360 degree shots or something. You can expect another update in a few weeks. ;)

Today I wanted to start a new sphagnum culture but I didn't have enough dry sphag so I repotted my ventrata into a smaller pot and used a bunch of sphag from that. In the process, I decided to pull the two small basals off. I don't want the plant to be bushy at the base because then I can put live sphag in the pot, which I can't do now. So this will help bush whack a bit.

6hm2vn.jpg

So then I stuck them back into the mother plant's pot. Not sure if you're able to see it, but in the above picture, one of the basals has a little root on it, but it's white, so IDK.

2psfw3r.jpg

Back