What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I water/humidity proog a fluorescent light fixture?

Vbkid

Getting There...
So after about a week of running my grow rack with it zipped up and high humidity, one of the light fixtures has been having trouble coming on in the morning, which I think might be due to the water corroding it or something related.
I just use 2 2-bulb, 2-foot fluorescent fixtures from Lowe's that are hanging directly above the plants about 6 inches. I can't really move it outside the growrack, what can I do to keep it working?
I know some other people have definitely encountered similar problems!
Thanks again!
Kyle

Last edited:
Bumpity-bump!

I don't think you have to worry. My T12 fixture has trouble turning on in the morning, it always takes a few extra minutes.

I don't think you have to worry. My T12 fixture has trouble turning on in the morning, it always takes a few extra minutes.

What he said... The bulbs take a little while to heat up the flourescent gas inside.

I should have explained. Every morning they are super dim until I basically rotate the bulb 360. Like it will stay dim all day until I adjust it.
Does everyone just run there fixtures in the high humidity environment? Maybe I should clean off the connections and put the bulb back in?

clean the contacts... coat with dielectric silicone grease and reinstall

(dielectric grease = common automotive spark plug wire grease)

Back