What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whynter ARC - 12S Air Conditioner

• Thread starter Cthulhu138
  • Start date
Does anyone else have this model ? Mine works great but, the fan doesn't shut off even when the a.c. isn't pushing out. Is this normal ? Shouldn't the fan stop when the thermostat shuts the a.c. off ?

I dont have the model but it is probably on fan mode, there might be a switch to fix it... Yes, the fan should shut off when the thermostat shuts it off.

The fan runs until the entire unit is shut off. I have an 8,000 BTU model by Haier and it runs the fan whether it's making cold air or not. When the thermostat senses the temp rising back up it kicks the compressor back on again. My old Hampton Bay 5,000 BTU model and the large one built into the wall of my living room all run the same way. When set to "cool" the fan always going with the compressor coming on periodically, probably why it's so damn expensive to run 'em! LOL

Likely a design methodology to keep the evaporator coil defrosted or reduce condensation build up..... either way, cheesey

I've never had one that shut off completely and then came back on by itself due to temp setting. I have no doubt such a unit would be a huge money/electricity saver! My bill doubles in summer. The units I have owned are either "on" or "off" whether it's an old dial type (living room) or digital one with a remote that I use for the HL Neps in summer.

In "fan mode" the cooling compressor never comes on. My newer window model will come on or go off completely with a built in timer but not just based on temp you can set the temp but it merely shuts off the cooling compressor, not the fan & entire unit. A Central Air AC unit for a house might shut off based on thermostat settings or a fancier window model than I could afford (the 8000 BTU model was $250 or so). If you were to hook up a greenhouse thermostat to your AC that might have the power to shut the thing all the way off and back on again based on temp.

Last edited:
Maybe not swords, starting current is much higher then running current....depends on cycle times, but in a lot of AC motor applications it is actually cheaper to let something run than restarting it.

Likewise, repeated restarting of the motor and compressor together may be just enough of a load that it would trip most household circuit breakers

Has to do with the whole CEMF Vs. EMF thang

Saw that with vane based air pumps. Start up was huge.....

Back