What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
After hundreds of dollars, many hit-and-misses, sliced hands and filleted fingers, and more, I finally have my perfect terrarium going.

I apologize that the pictures aren't perfect, but hopefully you get an idea of what I have going.

It's a 20 gallon terrarium and it's got eight 5'' pots and three 4'' pots. The light is a 125watt Hydrofarm CFL. The sides of the terrarium are lined with white cardboard. Maximum temperature is about 90F in the summer and the minimum temp is in the 60s during the winter. I have two 1'' airgaps on opposite sides of the roof of the terrarium to maximize air circulation.

I have a white cardboard panel on the front of the terrarium which I remove when I want to look at the plants:
terrarium1.jpg

Inside:
terrarium2.jpg

terrarium3.jpg

Nepenthes campanulata (still recovering from transplant, but new leaves are starting to open and grow)
Campanulata1.jpg

Nepenthes ampullaria (trimmed it to ground level over the summer)
Ampullaria1.jpg

Pinguicula caerulea:
Caerulea2.jpg

Pot'o capensis
Capensis2.jpg

Happy Cephalotus
Cephalotus2.jpg

Cephalotus3.jpg

Cephalotus1.jpg

Drosera filiformis 'red' (it doesn't look like much now, but the leaves are getting dewy and I fed it alot a week or so ago so prepare for it take off)
Filiformis1.jpg

Heliamphora minor (made lots of immature pitchers over the summer and is now producing mature pitchers with the arrival of cooler weather)
Heliamphora1.jpg

Heliamphora2.jpg

Dozens of Drosera spatulata and intermedia 'cuba'
Rosetted3.jpg

Pinguicula moranensis 'd' (still recovering from transplanting, but new leaves are taking off)
Moranensis1.jpg

Sub-aquatic carnivores (Utriculara livida, calcifida, Genlisea)
Utric1.jpg

I'll take more pictures in the coming months when the photoperiod and temperatures (and flowers) increase.

VERY happy ceph indeed. Everything looks great!

Wow, everything looks great! Are you using a fan(s) for air flow? What is your humidity like?

Nice collection!

Wow, everything looks great! Are you using a fan(s) for air flow? What is your humidity like?

No fan at all. Humidity seems pretty high (not sure how high exactly, but my plants seem fine with it)

looks like everything is happy :) love the set up too

very tidy,that ceph looks text book

No fan at all. Humidity seems pretty high (not sure how high exactly, but my plants seem fine with it)

Be careful with that....sudden death syndrome is well known in cephs. Ironically it happens more often when the ceph is thriving and big. It happens when new pitchers cover older pitchers and the older pitchers start rotting. I would try to somehow implement a fan in there. But great job with lighting. That is a nice fixture.

I have a suggestion for you. Line the backs and sides with mylar so light isnt defused thru the white paper :)

I have a suggestion for you. Line the backs and sides with mylar so light isnt defused thru the white paper :)

Where can I find mylar for the terrarium (I'm familiar with mylar used for blueprints and stuff, but not for reflecting light)

Home Depot or Lowes sells it around me. Don't really remember which at the moment.

Mylar can be bought at hydroponics stores (expensive). Many people dislike using mylar because it is so smooth it creates hotspots. You can get foil covered foam insulation board at Home Depot and the like. Space Blankets from a sports (camping) equipment or disaster preparedness store would work too. See Av8tors and Gil Za's chamber/shelf threads. Or you can use foam core poster board. White is better than nothing. Of course any of these will make the tank radiate less heat and thus get and stay warmer.

Spilled some chips in my room and had an ant problem today. Bad for me, good for the plants. They ate like kings.

FeedingCapensis1.jpg

feedingcapensis4.jpg

feedingdrosera1.jpg

feedingfiliformis1.jpg

feedingheli1.jpg

Cephalotus:
feedingceph1.jpg

feedingceph2.jpg

Pinguicula moranensis 'D' coming out of dormancy:
feedingping1.jpg

Oh wow! :0o:
All of your plants look super!

I love your set up! They really do look super. o_o

Looks great, Wolfn. Considering how happy your dews looks, maybe I won't vacuum for a couple of months in hopes of an ant infestation, too.

Oh very nice :drool:

Nice plants, specially the ceph! :)

Back