What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

terrarium

• Thread starter ed817
  • Start date
  • Tags
    terrarium
E

ed817

um how do you make a terrarium????

That's a big question. The basics are a glass box with lighting. What specifically are you looking to do?

ya what jbradt said. It really varies, you could have something as simple as a box with a light on top, or a terrarium with humidifier, ventilation, timers, etc.

That's a relative question, really.

You could either do this...

8802d1261075176-salamandra-vivarium-img_2982.jpg

Or this...

4ft_terrarium.jpg

Are you looking to just grow CP's? You could just grow them in a bare-bottom tank. Glass tank, glass lid, light -- that's it. Or did you want to keep things like dart frogs, as well as CP's? If you are looking to keep a terrarium with substrate, water features, frogs/snakes/ect, then you might want to sign up for www.dendroboard.com, a forum geared towards keeping dart frogs and other herps in realistic environments.

1 Terrarium of any size.

1 light that fits over most of the top, preferably T5, T12, or T10 bulbs.

Fill with plants that are in pots that wont outgrow the terrarium any time soon.

Or

Plant the plants into your well thought out and elaborate vivarium that you are creating as in the first picture.

Plant the plants into your well thought out and elaborate vivarium that you are creating as in the first picture.

If the OP is wanting to go that way, I STRONGLY suggesting joining dendroboard and seeing what others have done and checking youtube for tutorials. I tried a vivarium once and it didn't turn out the way I wanted. Carefully plan and build your vivarium slowly!!! It can't be achieved overnight. It will takes months of work to get it exactly how you want, but the payout is worth the work. :)

Gorgeous tank in that first pic, Pineapple!

A terr can be as simple as a plastic or glass bowl. As others have said, it all depends on what you want to use it for, functionallity verse decorative, as well as how much time and money you plan to invest in its creation.

If you REALLY want to short circuit your keyboard with drool -- Google image: "Dutch Vivariums" & "Dutch Vivaria". There are some mind blowingly awesome vivs out there!

christmas-Star.gif

Gorgeous tank in that first pic, Pineapple!

It's not mine though, just a pic from Google Images. But thanks, I did do a good job selecting that photo! :-))

What JB said...an enclosure with something living in it, really.

Wow holly smokes that first viv is flipping awesome pineapple! I am in the process of doing a 55 gallon long and want it to look like that. Wow I am drooling.

What did you google to find that pine?

i just want something to grow some HL neps and a heli in.

Try to place it in the coolest part of your house.. like a basement.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

If you take a look at my setup you will see its fairly simple and effective.

Back