What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to clean stubborn glass?

My brother gave me his large aquarium (18" H X 36" W X 12" D) and I hope to turn it into a terrarium. The problem is that the glass is stained inside and I can't seem to clean it.
It was covered in that crust you get when you leave an aquarium un-tended and just let all the water evaporate out (don't ask me how I know about that). Lots of elbow grease and baking soda has removed the crust, but there is still some kind of stain making a ring all the way around about half way up (inside). I even tried Lime Away, and so far that hasn't helped.
I know that glass can oxidize and that there is little hope of fixing that, but I really don't think that's what I have here. Or at least I hope not.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sorry if this has been covered, I did a quick search and didn't find.???

razor blade.. if you cant remove it with a single edge blade on flat glass... it's in the glass

Lemon juice and a razor blade has worked well for me

razor blade.. if you cant remove it with a single edge blade on flat glass... it's in the glass
I have some pieces of glass that I use to cover terrariums & aquariums. Many of these develop a 'stain' that resists all conventional cleaning approaches. They seems to be etched in the glass. Since this 'etching' is not deep and it's in non-stressed glass, it would seem that it could be buffed out with some fine/ultra-fine grit. Has anyone done this before? If so, is it remotely cost-effective (after the learning curve has flattened out)? While glass is not all that expensive - purchasing, cutting-to-size & rounding 8 sides per piece of glass also requires a not-insubstantial chunk of time...

I have used Dupont #7 automotive polishing compound

Apply, let dry and hand buff off.... just like car wax, a little work but makes glass look amazing
(the glass also stayed clean a lot longer, guess it removed some of the asperities)

I would think any automotive polishing/rubbing compound would give similar results

Last edited:
The razor blade didn't work. It looked good wet, but when it dried the stain was back.
I'll try the polish, thanks.

I have heard toothpaste works ? It's basically a polishing compound, but not to abrasive that it will scratch.

I have an old aquarium that is the same as you describe, when it's wet it looks great, when it's dry it has that haze to it. Thankfully I keep my terrium humidity up high enough it looks fine.

Dan

A wet scoth-brite pad may help, and will not scratch the glass.

Back