What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using a sanitizer in tray and circulation methods...

Hey everyone! So there has been this question in my mind I'm wondering if anyone has tried. Using a phosphoric acid sanitizer in the water for the CPs? Like Star San by Five Star used for homebrewing. The CPs love acidic conditions right? So why would or could this be bad for preventing the nasties associated with stagnent water tray methods and circulating systems? It Would kill and prevent the bacteria, maybe algae too I would think.... The only real drawback I could come up with is if your growing Utrics' the microorganisims would be killed that they eat, but is this really a bad thing?

What peaked my curiosity on this matter was after I sterilized old soil mixes I had around here in the microwave (added RO water and heated until almost boiling, stirring in between 2 minute cycles) and the water and soil surface are so clean it's amazing compared to my stagnant trays. I welcome any scientific or relative theories on this matter. I just can't seem to think of anything other than potential root burning and the killing of microbes that could be the result of using such a product in practice of growing CPs.

Let the discussions begin!

Vinylsock

IMHO I would no use it. I am sure it will raise the PPM of the tray water when you are trying to achive 0 PPM. I would think for sanitization you are changing the PH much higher then the plants are used too or can survive. Also along with killing all the unwanted organisms it will kill all the benificial organisms too. If you would like to do this I would recomend taking one common plant and putting it in it's own tray and try it out. If you loose the plant nothing really lost. You can then adjust the amount and try again if you so wish, but I feel what ever you find that is safe for the CP's will also be safe for all the other organisms to survive. That is my two cents! Love to hear others opinions.

Back