What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is what happens when you leave a terrarium unattended for 3 months

So I left for a trip abroad about three months ago, and dropped my terrarium at my mum's house with two instructions:

- Make sure the lights stay on the timer
- Always keep 1cm of water in the bottom

This is what happens when you leave some lowlands nepenthes to their own devises:

http://i.imgur.com/aXk3b.jpg

Note this picture was taken after they were "trimmed".

wow lol thats incredible. Nice job.

Nice! I love that bright red ampullaria!

Phew!
I thought this wanna gonna be another one of those horror stories XD

i double that on horror stories .......def what i was thinking!
What size terrarium is it?

Thanks for the feedback!

I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure the ampullaria is a hybrid (N ampullaria x talangensis). I have no idea what the other pitcher is. The tank was my gecko's old habitat, I think it's 40 gallons or so? It's designed for arboreal reptiles so it's a lot taller than a regular fish tank.

Here's a picture of the terrarium a couple weeks after I set it up, about 10 months ago. For some reason the drosera capensis of all things died off where I planted it but reappeared seemingly at random. I can't see from the latest photo but it looks like while I was away, the Pinguicula moranensis either died or became enveloped by moss.

I tried pretty hard to get together a bunch of plants with similar needs that don't need wintering, maybe I should just stick to Nepenthes :p

When I get home I'll be ripping out handfuls of moss; I'll probably have enough spare to make a whole new sundew-only terrarium.

Looking good. That other Nepenthes almost looks to me like N. gracilis 'nigropurpurea'. Or it could just be regular old N. gracilis.

Also that ampullaria x talangensis cross, I owned that for a while and I'm still pretty astounded that it doesn't look even remotely like a hybrid at all. I've yet to see any specimen that made me think it is anything other than pure ampullaria.

So after seeing that photo, can I drop my plants off with your mom?

Nice! I was also expecting some kind of horror story...

I always find it depressing when I leave my plants with someone and they do better while I am away...

It does look like N. gracilis, I'll have to take a closer look when I get home.

The pitchers have been growing like crazy since I set up the tank, I guess it's just ideal conditions (always 18-25 degrees, 75-90% humidity). I've only fed them once, and that was just from a flightless fruitfly culture. I just happen to keep them better trimmed when I'm at home, heh.

Last semester when I was in school I supplied my entire botany lab class with pitchers to dissect, and I didn't even take half of them.

Wow! Looks great!

haha.. HOLY MOLY! The gracilis is trying to escape!

Nice! Looking sweet.

Is that sphag you have in there with them, or another kind of moss?

How did the terrarium looks like before you dropped it off to your moms house?

That's insane!!! Mine do that when I ignore them, too.

Ah! The amazing affects of time & patience!
It's like they grow overnight,
when we are away!
That is why I encourage people to have other hobbies, so they can give their plants the time they need to amaze us!

Nice! :-D

haha wow impressive indeed, i thought either everything would be dead or the tank would be so over grown that even with a trim it would still look worse then it does now :p

It definitely looks like a regular form n. gracilis and a nice one too. Makes me miss the gracilis that I had. But your plants look great.

Back