What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
I have heard a lot of good about using coffee to give Nepenthes a boost. I am curious if (used, no creamer) tea leaves scattered about the surface, or even mixed into the soil mix, would have a similar effect on the bog-ish plants; Sarracenia, Dionaea, Drosera, Pinguicula. The leaves are acid, so there's a plus. The chopped pine needles I mixed in last year got a good response from the plants; I'm game to try something new. If nothing else, will the tea leaves harm the plants?

I've often wondered that myself.. being a big tea drinker also.. I throw out a ton of tea leaves every day..

Pure decaff black tea leaves (and almond leaves) are commonly used in getting a few species of delicate neotropical tadpoles to make it to maturity. Might be an interesting experiment.

I've often wondered that myself.. being a big tea drinker also.. I throw out a ton of tea leaves every day..
Next time I go to the USA I'll have to contact you to find out where you can get good tea over there, as the teabags in hotels are horrible.

Like your new & improved avatar, Brie. :D

Tea leaves make excellant compost. I empty mine outside -- be a waste to throw them in a landfill. Can't say how the cps would react. I agree with Phy ... sounds like an interesting experiment in the making.

hummm interesting to know if it brings about good results in neps and dews, i might have to try the tea leafs on one of my neps soon

Next time I go to the USA I'll have to contact you to find out where you can get good tea over there, as the teabags in hotels are horrible.

To find anything of truly good quality in America one will typically have to venture a bit further than their hotel room. :lol:

To find anything of truly good quality in America one will typically have to venture a bit further than their hotel room. :lol:

Ugggh! The last, and do I mean LAST time I tried hotel tea, it tasted like plastic. I wouldn't have been surprised to see they were storing it under the sink. Bleargh!

Believe it or not, Target has some really nice teas, for little cost. But if you want some worth it's weight in LFS, there are a couple places I know in the area that have VERY nice loose leaf and flower teas. Mmmm!

I'll chuck a few bags worth in a few pots, and see how things go.

Will tea work for neps as well, if in fact it does work for the droseras and sarrs and what not? Is coffee a better way to go for neps?

Will tea work for neps as well, if in fact it does work for the droseras and sarrs and what not? Is coffee a better way to go for neps?

I just watered all my neps with some black tea in distilled water a few days ago, so I'm wondering the same thing. If anything, they're certainly not dead yet so that's good.

Is it the actual coffee and tea that gives them the boost or the caffeine in them?

I would venture a guess and say it's the tannins (acids, of a sort).

Tea doesnt have tannic acids if i'm not mistaken. Must be something else. I read that tea has a plant hormone that no other plant has but i'm having a hard time finding the article.

---------- Post added at 10:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 AM ----------

Tea has flavanols, an antioxidant. Maybe that has something to do with it making plants healthier...idk.

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Also has amino acids apparently.

Theres all kinds of good stuff in there. Thanks for the link Mobile!

I pretty much only drink Yerba Mate and so therefore I have large amounts of waste leaves that get produced.

I wonder if it would make good fertilizer. I've yet to try it...

OK, so no tannins. Serves me right for failing to Google before I type! :headwall:

I scattered a few bag's worth in the bog. Did I mention that they REALLY like the pine needles I put in there? The soil looks fantastic, I have little pinkish white buds popping up everywhere, even the Darlingtonia joined the party and nearly doubled.

There is a place near me called teavona that has the best tea I have ever had. its pricey but its worth it.

Back