What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ferns For A Lowland Terrarium

dionae

sarracenia lover
What are some ferns that will do well in a lowland terrarium and that will stay small/smallish?Going to plant my terrarium sometime in the next week or so and i'm trying to find some good companion plants for my CPs. Thanks in advance!

The hard part is your desire for "smallish". Just how small are you hoping for? are you planning on using it as ground cover?

Do keep in mind that ferns do become "thugs" in terrs. I find that planting a fern in a pot with the bottom cut off into the substrate of a terr does help a great deal in controlling the fern's spread. Maidenhair ferns (Adiantum) are beautiful ferns and generally do very well in the high humidity of a terr. Only problem is there aren't any truly mini ones. One of the best candidates, I think would be Nephrolepis exaltata. There's an example here:
http://www.vivariumforum.com/community/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=90

A java fern might work but they might need higher humidity and time for them to adjust to emmersed lifestyle.
You can check out the button fern and the Korean rock fern.

Thank you both very much for your suggestions. Ill look into all of the species mentioned. Thanks again!

I just recently bought a Selaginella uncinata (or alike) which is at the bottom of the vivariumforum.com page. I seems to be exactly what I was looking for: a relatively small fern which grows horizontally.

Back